categories - Category Theory list
* Some documents 1966-67
@ 2010-04-12 11:12 Anders Kock
From: Anders Kock @ 2010-04-12 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

I have made some documents (notes which I have taken from lectures by
Lawvere and Benabou) available on my home page:

http://home.imf.au.dk/kock/lawvere66.pdf

(from 1966; probably at Oberwolfach);

http://home.imf.au.dk/kock/benabou67a.pdf
http://home.imf.au.dk/kock/benabou67b.pdf

The lectures by Benabou are from his long visit to U. of Chicago in the
spring of 1967, where he gave some influential lectures, introducing
Bicategories; profunctors (as he called them by then) were a significant
example, and their theory was developed.

Lawvere participated in (organized?) this seminar. I do not remember
Lawvere making any priority claims concerning the "profunctor"-example;
this was not an issue, although profunctors clearly are present in his
1966 talk, cf. the link above (and they are part of a broad evolution:
bimodule theory of Cartan-Eilenberg (or earlier?), tensor product of
functors in Watts' contribution to the 1965 LaJolla volume, ... ).

Anders Kock

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-04-12 11:12 UTC | newest]