categories - Category Theory list
From: "Joyal, André" <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
To: <tholen@mathstat.yorku.ca>, <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Four problems corrected
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 09:58:18 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear All,

there was a few typographic errors my last message.
I am sending you the correction.

Best,
André

Dear Walter,

Let me sketch a possible solution to problem 4
(along the lines you have suggested).

> If  P: C --> S  is a functor, I denote by V(P)  the subcategory of C
>which has the same objects and as maps the vertical maps i.e. the f's such
>that P(f) is an identity. Let V  be a subcategory of a (small) category C.
> What conditions >must  the pair (C,V)  satisfy in order that
> there exists a fibration  P with domain  C  such that  V = V(P)?

I first make a few observations on the properties
of a Grothendieck fibration P:C--->B.

1) If V is the subcategory of vertical maps in C,
then a morphism in C is cartesian with respect
to the functor P iff it is right orthogonal
(= it has the unique right lifting property)
to every map in V.

2) if R(V) is the class of maps in C which are right orthogonal
to every map in V, then every map f in C admits
a factorisation f=cv with v in V and c in R(V).

3) the base change of a map in V along a map in
R(V) exists and can be taken in V (up to an isomorphism).

4) A Grothendieck fibration P:C--->B is *connected* if its fibers
are connected categories. It is easy to see that every Grothendieck
fibration  P:C--->B admits a factorisation P=SQ:C-->E-->B with Q:C-->E
a connected Grothendieck fibration and  S:E-->B a discrete fibration
(the fibers of S are the connected components of the fibers of P).
The vertical maps of P coincide with
the vertical maps of Q. This shows that if the problem
has a solution, then there is one in which
the fibration P:C-->B is connected, in which case there is a
natural bijection between the objects of the
base category B and the set  connected components
of the sub-category of vertical maps.

We shall suppose the the conditions 2-3 above are satisfied
but we will we will need an extra condition later.

The idea then is to declare that the objects of B
*are* the connected components of the subcategory V.

If C_0 and C_1 are two connected components of V,
consider the distributor D:C_0-->C_1
obtained by putting D(a,b)=C(a,b) for every object
a of C_0 and every object b of C_1.
The idea is to put

B(C_0,C_1)= colimit D

and to use the composition of arrows in C for
defining the composition of morphisms in B.
But we have to make sure that the composition
so defined is unambigous. And this is where
the extra condition 4 is popping out.

First, the distributor D:C_0-->C_1 is locally
corepresentable by a family. More precisely,
for any object b of C_1 the presheaf

D(-,b):C_0-->Set

is a coproduct of representable presheaves.
This follows directly from condition 2
(the representing objects are morphisms f:a-->b in R(V)).
Let us put

T(b)=\pi_0D(-,b)=colimit D(-,b)

This defines a functor T:C_1--->Set (which depends
on C_0). It follows from condition 3 that
the functor T inverts every morphism of C_1.
This shows that the distribuor D:C_0-->C_1
is of a very special type. The category
of elements of the functor T is a *covering* el(T)-->C_1
(a covering is a discrete fibration which
is also an opfibration). It follows
that the distributor D:C_0-->C_1 can be represented as a span

C_0<---el(T)--->C_1

in which the second leg is a covering.
Assuming that the conditions 2 and 3 are
satisfied, the problem of Benabou will have a solution
iff this covering is trivial (ie it is a product)
for any pair of connected components C_0
and C_1 of V. This is true for example
when the connected components of V are
simply connected.

Best,