categories - Category Theory list
From: "Joyal, André" <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
To: "David Roberts" <droberts@maths.adelaide.edu.au>
Subject: Re: fundamental_localic_groupoid?
Date: Sun, 2 May 2010 11:41:29 -0400	[thread overview]

David Roberts wrote:

>Going back to more general thoughts, given an arbitrary space X, the topos
>Sh(X) is the classifying topos of some localic groupoid G_X (Joyal-Tierney),
>which I thought (!) could be interpreted as the fundamental groupoid in nice
>situations. Here I suppose is my real question: what relation is there
>between G_X and the (ordinary) fundamental groupoid Pi_1(X)? I suppose a
>test case could be the Warsaw circle W: Pi_1(W) is equivalent to the
>discrete groupoid on the set {a,b}, and surely G_W is more than this.

I would like to make a few observations.
If my recollection is right,  during the 1980's the dream of some topos theorists
(including myself) was to use atomic toposes as generalised K(pi,1)-spaces.
The dream has not materialised and it maybe foolish.

Another avenue is to extend Grothendieck Galois theory, since the
fundamental groupoid of a space classifies the covers of that space.
Eduardo Dubuc is presently developing a general theory of Galois toposes.
The fundamental Galois topos of a topos E could be defined as the
reflection E--->E(1) of E into the full subcategory of Galois toposes
over the base topos S. I am not supposing that S is the category of sets.
I am writing E(1) because I want to suggest that it is a stage of
a Postnikov tower of S-toposes:

E(-1)<---E(0)<---E(1)<----E(2)<----

The topos E(-1) is of course the image of the
geometric morphisme E-->S. The construction of E(-1)
depends on the factorisation system

(epimorphisms of toposes, sub-toposes)

The topos E(0) is the totally disconnected localic reflection of E
over the base topos S. Its construction
depends on the factorisation system

(connected morphisms of toposes, totally disconnected localic morphisms)

The topos E(1) is the Galois topos reflection of E
over the base topos S. Its construction
depends on the factorisation system

(1-connected morphisms of toposes, Galois morphisms)

The topos E(2) does not exists in general for the
simple reason that it is a 2-topos, not an ordinary
topos. A 2-topos is enriched over groupoids.

The whole theory depends on three factorisation systems

(epimorphisms of toposes, sub-toposes)
(connected morphisms of toposes, totally disconnected localic morphisms)
(1-connected morphisms of toposes, Galois morphisms)

The first factorisation system is well known and
was constructed a long time ago.

Excuse my ignorance, but I do not know if the
second factorisation system has been fully constructed.
Can someone tell me?

The third factorisation system was partially
constructed by Dubuc: he can factor
the morphism E-->S when S is the category of sets.

My observations concerning your problems
could be off the mark.

Best,
André