categories - Category Theory list
* fundamental localic groupoid?
@ 2010-04-28  2:24 David Roberts
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: David Roberts @ 2010-04-28  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi all,

it is (or should be) well known that the fundamental groupoid of a locally
connected, semilocally 1-connected space X can be given a topology such that
it is a topological groupoid (composition continuous etc). Without these
assumptions on X there are counterexamples to the continuity of composition
(c.f. misguided attempts to build a topological fundamental group). I was
wondering, though, if there is a localic fundamental groupoid of an
arbitrary space. One could presumably pass the the topos Sh(X) and then
consider the fundamental groupoid of that, but I was wondering if there was
a way to pass directly from the description of the arrows of Pi_1(X) as a
set of classes of paths to a locale of classes of paths, and thence to a
localic groupoid. My only 'evidence' that this might be the case is that the
product in Loc is different to the product in Top, and so this may provide a
work around the non-continuity of composition.

Thanks,

David Roberts