categories - Category Theory list
From: Richard Garner <rhgg2@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To: Andre Joyal <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
Subject: Re: bilax_monoidal_functors?=
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 00:57:18 +0100 (BST)	[thread overview]

[-- Attachment #1: Type: MULTIPART/MIXED; BOUNDARY="1870870024-881670754-1274054087=:29111", Size: 2976 bytes --]

Dear André

> In the chapter 4 of the latest version of their book
>
> http://www.math.tamu.edu/~maguiar/a.pdf
>
> Aguiar and Mahajan introduce a notion of P-monoidal functor
> for P is an operad.

> The notion of P-monoidal functor for P a PROP
> is not defined in their book.
>
> Any idea?

The notion of P-monoidal functor C --> D, for P an operad,
may be described most expediently when D has small colimits,
and these distribute over tensors: for then the functor
category [C,D] is itself monoidal under Day convolution, and
a P-monoidal functor is nothing but a P-algebra in this
functor category.

Such a definition admits an obvious generalisation to the
case where P is not an operad, but merely a PROP; however, it
seems to me that such a generalisation has no force. For
instance, when P is the PROP for coalgebras the notion of
P-monoidal functor is nothing like that of an oplax monoidal
functor. The problem is one of variance; in giving a
comultiplication F -> F * F one is required to map into a
coend, which is back-to-front.

One way of throwing this into focus is by considering the
case where D has no colimits to speak of, so that the functor
category [C,D] is not monoidal, but merely a multicategory.
In any multicategory, one may still speak of a P-algebra for
an operad---thereby allowing the notion of P-monoidal
morphism of Aguiar and Mahajan to find its fully general
expression---but the notion of P-algebra for an arbitrary
PROP no longer makes sense.

The moral is that a PROP in general may be built from
components which originate "in algebra" and components which
originate "in coalgebra"; or, indeed, from components which
originate in neither. It is, I think, only when all
components originate "in algebra"---which is to say that the
PROP is an operad---that the notion of P-monoidal functor is
mathematically sensible.

However, all is not lost; for many of the PROPs of interest
are not just PROPs, but instances of some smaller notion
which allows "algebraic" and "coalgebraic" components
interacting according to some particular discipline. For
example, there is Gan's notion of dioperad, which is
essentially that of a one-object polycategory. The PROP for a
Frobenius algebra is an example of such a dioperad. Now, we
may speak of models for a dioperad in any polycategory; and
in particular, the functor category [C,D] between two
monoidal categories bears such a polycategorical structure,
wherein a model for the dioperad for Frobenius algebras is
precisely a Frobenius monoidal functor. Jeff Egger has
studied circumstances under which this polycategorical
structure of [C,D] is representable, and almost certainly
discusses this example of Frobenius monoidal functors; but he
is much more qualified than me to speak on this!

Richard