categories - Category Theory list
* bilax monoidal functors
@ 2010-05-08  1:05 David Yetter
From: David Yetter @ 2010-05-08  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

John Baez could not recall whether bilax and Frobenius monoidal functors =
are the same.

The answer is no, in the usage I'd been familiar with,  bilax meant =
simply equipped with both lax and oplax structures, while a Frobenius =
monoidal functor satisfies  additional coherence relation which =
generalize the relations between the multiplication and comultiplication =
in a Frobenius algebra.

A bilax monoidal functor from the one-object monoidal category to VECT =
would be a vector-space with both an algebra and a coalgebra structure =
on it (no coherence relations relating them), while a Frobenius monoidal =
functor would be a Frobenius algebra. =20

Aguiar (with good reason), on the other hand, reserves bilax for =
functors equipped with coherence relations generalizing the relations =
between the operations and cooperations in a bialgebra, so that a bilax =
functor from the one-object monoidal category to VECT would be a =
bialgebra.  This notion, however, only makes sense in the presence of =
braidings on the source and target.

I think Aguiar's usage should prevail, though we also need a name for =
functors between general monoidal categories which are simultaneously =
lax and oplax.

Best Thoughts,
David Yetter=

* RE : bilax monoidal functors
@ 2010-05-08  3:27 John Baez
       [not found] ` <4BE81F26.4020903@dm.uba.ar>
From: John Baez @ 2010-05-08  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

André Joyal wrote:

I am using the following terminology for
> higher braided monoidal (higher) categories:
>
> Monoidal< braided < 2-braided <.......<symmetric
>
> A (n+1)-braided n-category is symmetric
> according to your stabilisation hypothesis.
>
> Is this a good terminology?

I use "k-tuply monoidal" to mean what you'd call "(k-1)-braided".  This
seems preferable to me, not because it sounds nicer - it doesn't - but
because it starts counting at a somewhat more natural place.  I believe that
counting monoidal structures is more natural than counting braidings.

For example, a doubly monoidal n-category, one with two compatible monoidal
structures, is a braided monoidal n-category.    I believe this is a theorem
proved by you and Ross when n = 1.  This way of thinking clarifies the
relation between braided monoidal categories and double loop spaces.

Various numbers become more complicated when one counts braidings rather
than monoidal structures:

An n-tuply monoidal k-category is (conjecturally) a special sort of
(n+k)-category... while an n-braided category is a special sort of
(n+k+1)-category.

Similarly: n-dimensional surfaces in (n+k)-dimensional space are n-morphisms
in a k-tuply monoidal n-category... but they are n-morphisms in an
(k-1)-braided n-category.

And so on.

On the other hand, if it's braidings that you really want to count, rather
than monoidal structures, your terminology is perfect.

By the way: I don't remember anyone on this mailing list ever asking if
their own terminology is good.  I only remember them complaining about other
people's terminology.  I applaud your departure from this unpleasant
tradition!

Best,
jb