categories - Category Theory list
From: Patrik Eklund <peklund@cs.umu.se>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Equality again
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 04:27:58 +0200 (MEST)	[thread overview]

I may have missed some parts of the equality message exchange, but here
a few lines from general equational programming point of view.

I believe it is always important to note where equality or its genetic
siblings reside. As far as I understand we do category theory mostly over
ZFC, so ZFC is a metalanguage for category theory. The equality for "the
diagram commutes" is in ZFC, but the "equation" t1 = t2 involving two
terms over a signature is more tricky. You might say it's an ordered pair
(t1,t2), and that structure is in ZFC. The objective of rewriting is to
find a substitution (Kleisli morphism) s so that s(t1)=s(t2). More
precisely, the substitution is a morphism s : X -> TY, so you extend it to
Ts : TX -> TTY, and bring it to mu_Y o Ts : TX -> TY with the mu from the
term monad. All this is done over Set, i.e. T is a monad over Set, and
therefore TX and TY are sets in ZFC. So, the equality in mu o Ts(t1) = mu
o Ts(t2) is the equality in ZFC. Incidently, Set is already here in
question as Set covers only the one-sorted signatures case. Moving over to
many-sorted signatures you need more.

However, you can use composed monads instead of T, and you don't have to
be over Set, or its multisorted cousin. Even more so, is it really only
about ordered pairs? In the end, we are looking for a substitution
bringing that "possibly something else than just an ordered pair" to
something close to a 'singleton', where the notion of 'singleton' then
should reside mostly in the purely categorical language, rather than in
only and exclusively in ZFC.

General logics (Meseguer, Goguen, Burstall et al) in a general monadic
setting both for terms as well as sentences, invites to this thinking,
even if admittedly the programing examples at this point, for the monadic
extensions, are rather artificial.

Also note that syntactics has for quite a while been studied with respect
to categorization, but semantics is mostly seen in the metalanguage of set
theory. Doesn't have to be so? Cannot be so? We are obviously trying to
complicate things as much as possible in syntactics, and when it comes to
semantics, our semantics domains are mostly sets, and equality is like
the emperor, changing clothes all the time.

Best regards,

Patrik