categories - Category Theory list
From: "F. William Lawvere" <wlawvere@hotmail.com>
To: <may@math.uchicago.edu>, <ronnie.profbrown@btinternet.com>
Cc: <jds@math.upenn.edu>, categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: covering spaces and groupoids
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2010 14:14:48 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear Ronnie and Peter,

    In the applications of algebraic topology to topology,
where do the ‘basepoints’
originate? From my (regrettably too few) contacts with algebraic
topologists I gleaned the following:

1.
(S. Eilenberg) The base point is the residue of
a collapsed subspace, which results, for example, in constructing a model of
the 2-sphere by collapsing the boundary of a 2-ball.

2.
(B. Eckmann)  The pairs, space/subspace (whose homology is often studied)  can be usefully generalized
to arbitrary maps as objects, not just inclusion maps.

3.
(R. Swan)  A construction is usually not functorial if one of its steps
involves complementation of subobjects; but collapsing subobjects retains
nearly the same information, yet is functorial.

4.
(M. Artin and G. Wraith)  An important refinement of the morphism
category of 2. above involves ‘gluing’ along a left-exact functor between
two categories, a special ‘comma’ category construction that in fact always
yields a topos if the original categories are toposes. For example, the inverse
image functor   i  of a grounding of one topos over
another yields in this way a topos whose objects are maps  i(S) à E.

5.
(P. Freyd) Under the name of sconing the
geometrical construction of 4. is very useful in case the objects S of the base
topos deserve to be called ‘discrete’. (Ronnie B. points out that this sort of category is the
natural domain of the fundamental groupoid.)

6.
Suppose a topos (of spaces) is locally connected
over another one (of discrete spaces). That means that the inverse image functor i (itself the left adjoint of a
points functor) has its own further left adjoint  p  counting
connected components.  Then the
constructions of 4., 5., yield a result which is again locally connected; the
extended  p  assigns to any  Aà
E the pushout E/A with Aà i p A. In the spirit of 3. I think of E/A as the exterior of A. This
construction is clearly a left adjoint and hence co-continuous in contrast to
the construction which merely collapses any A to a point (with which it agrees
in case A has exactly one component).

  Here is a proposed application of the construction of
4., 5, 6., to geometric analysis, serving e.g. as a refutation to the supposed
ubiquity of rings without unit:

The easy notion of support for
covariant quantities like measures is concerned with domain of dependence: An
element of M(E) might come from an element of M(A) via A à E and hence be
supported on A. Also for contravariant quantities we need not make an abusive
use of the properties of minus and zero. A function on X ‘of compact support’ may be interpreted as one that does
not depend on the large part L
which is remote from some small part K of interest; here K union L = X.
The complements of such  K  are to be inoperative in the variation
of such particular functions. But even the line has two ends so that constancy
on the components of L is a more functorial condition on functions. If the
codomain space R has certain algebraic structure, then R(X,L) = R^(X/L), the
exponential space of functions on the indicated pushout enjoys all the same
algebraic structure, as does the colimit over all large remote L in X (these
being filtered). Of course, this construction R(X/infinity) is functorial  only
for proper maps X à
Y, i.e. those whose inverse image preserves the large remoteness. The covariant
dependency of the dual space Hom (R (X/infinity), R) of functionals is likewise
only along proper maps, in contrast to that of the smaller space M(X)=Hom(R^X,R)
of functionals that have to integrate all functions of the category.
Best wishes,Bill