categories - Category Theory list
* The humility topos
@ 2010-06-29  4:33 John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2010-06-29  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

In literary criticism a "topos" is a standard method of constructing an
argument, or more generally, a commonplace:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Literary_topos

So, from what you wrote, I guessed that the medieval "humility topos" was
the commonplace that religious figures were humble.

But why guess?  These days one can use Google!  There are lots of
discussions of the humility topos:

http://www.google.com/search?q=humility+topos

and I see that my guess was not quite right:

http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/lit_terms_h.html

Best,
jb

* Re: The humility topos
@ 2010-07-06 12:02 Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine
From: Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine @ 2010-07-06 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaughan Pratt; +Cc: Categories list

> One would suppose that the notions of literary topos and humility topos were of ancient origin.  Certainly "topos" appears in Aristotle's Rhetoric in the original Greek.  However its entry into the academic lexicon as an English word relevant to rhetoric and other literary forms would seem, as far as I've been able to tell, to have occurred at some point in the 20th century.

The online OED confirms this; it does contain "topos", defining it as
> "A traditional motif or theme (in a literary composition); a rhetorical commonplace, a literary convention or formula."
and the earliest citation it gives is 1948, in Leo Spitzer's "Linguistics and literary history" (presumably referring to Curtius's work).

Interestingly, though, its earliest cited uses of "topic" (16th/17th century) are also as a translation of Aristotle's "topos", and with a similar meaning to Curtius's "topos".

-Peter.

--
Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine
Carnegie Mellon University

* Re:  The humility topos
@ 2010-06-29 17:20 Robert J. MacG. Dawson
       [not found] ` <1277950072.4c2bf878cf89f@webmail.adelaide.edu.au>
From: Robert J. MacG. Dawson @ 2010-06-29 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr; +Cc: Categories list

On 6/28/2010 4:49 PM, Michael Barr wrote:
> Yesterday's NY Times magazine had an article about the British
> experimental novelist David Mitchell. Mitchell told a story to the author
> of the article about how, after an event in New Zealand a woman, a
> medievalist there asked him if knew about the humility topos. I imagine
> that Mitchell came across as very humble. At any rate she went on to say,
> and I quote because I am not certain how to parse it, "in the medieval era
> humility was seen as a great virtue. The humility topos was used for
> those abbots...who were actually monsters of arrogance, but were always
> banging on about how humble they were...". The woman said to him, "Watch
> out for the humility topos" and then disappeared.

 	Being but little learned, I looked this up. Wikipedia has (under
"Inventio")

 	Topoi are categories that help delineate the relationships among ideas.

 	Specifically, the "humility topos" is the rhetorical strategy of
pretending ignorance or naivete to entertain or disarm the listener.

http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/lit_terms_h.html

 	Identifying the subobject classifier must be left to wiser heads than
my own.

 	-Robert Dawson

* Re: The humility topos
@ 2010-06-29  2:06 Toby Bartels
From: Toby Bartels @ 2010-06-29  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Michael Barr wrote in part:

>Aside from wanting to know what was meant here, should the first quote
>have put humility topos in quotes, for example, I would also like to know
>what is the subobject classifier of the humility topos.

As for what is meant, these links seem to be relevant:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inventio#Topoi
http://web.cn.edu/kwheeler/lit_terms_h.html#humility_topos_anchor
I don't think that "humility topos" should be in quotation marks,
although it looks like "topos" is supposed to be italicised
(as a foreign word, always with the foregin plural "topoi").

If anybody knows an eager literary theorist,
see if you can get a response to the question
"What classifies parts in the humility topos?"
(using the term "part" instead of "subobject" to make it more accessible).

The best answer that I could get from the Internet
is the 1601 Elizabethan Poor Law.
But I fear that this is in too restricted a context
(the subobject classifier of some slice of the humility topos).
http://books.google.com/books?id=f9_a4d0j9DQC&pg=PA262&dq=classify+part+"humility+topos"%3F&ots=entEEqom3l

--Toby

* The humility topos
@ 2010-06-28 19:49 Michael Barr