categories - Category Theory list
From: Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine <plumsdai@andrew.cmu.edu>
To: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>
Cc: Categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: The humility topos
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 13:02:16 +0100	[thread overview]

> One would suppose that the notions of literary topos and humility topos were of ancient origin.  Certainly "topos" appears in Aristotle's Rhetoric in the original Greek.  However its entry into the academic lexicon as an English word relevant to rhetoric and other literary forms would seem, as far as I've been able to tell, to have occurred at some point in the 20th century.

The online OED confirms this; it does contain "topos", defining it as
> "A traditional motif or theme (in a literary composition); a rhetorical commonplace, a literary convention or formula."
and the earliest citation it gives is 1948, in Leo Spitzer's "Linguistics and literary history" (presumably referring to Curtius's work).

Interestingly, though, its earliest cited uses of "topic" (16th/17th century) are also as a translation of Aristotle's "topos", and with a similar meaning to Curtius's "topos".

-Peter.

--
Peter LeFanu Lumsdaine
Carnegie Mellon University