categories - Category Theory list
From: Michael Barr <barr@math.mcgill.ca>
To: Richard Garner <r.h.g.garner@gmail.com>
Cc: Sergey Goncharov <sergey@informatik.uni-bremen.de>, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Tensor of monads
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2010 08:48:43 -0400 (EDT)	[thread overview]

I am afraid you are right.  Here is what Manes says on the subject in
LNM80:

It is an open question whether or not
$\t\otimes\widetilde{\t}$ always exists. A constructive proof can be given
if both $\t$ and $\widetilde{\t}$ have a rank (in the sense of
\cite[2.2.6]{man}) by generalizing Freyd's proof in \cite{fre}.

What I had in mind involved two isomorphic, but distinct triples.  The one
coming from the underlying functor of complete sup semilattices (whose mu
would be union) and the other coming from complete inf semilattices (whose
mu is intersection).  The problem comes when you make those operations
commute with each other.  It would seem to me that would force complete
distributivity.  But completely distributive boolean algebras do give a
tripleable category.  Perhaps the moderator could throw some light on this
from his work on CCD lattices.

Could this still be unknown?  I guess it could.  It is not a topic that
has aroused a great deal of interest.

Sorry, Michael