categories - Category Theory list
* "Databases are Categories" (again)
@ 2010-08-09 16:12 Vasili I. Galchin
From: Vasili I. Galchin @ 2010-08-09 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

      I stumbled across this tech talk:
http://www.galois.com/blog/2010/05/27/tech-talk-categories-are-databases/  I
was wondering
what others in this mail list think about Spivak's thesis. I apologize if
already posted.

Regards,

Vasili

* Re: "Databases are Categories" (again)
@ 2010-08-12  5:44 ` Valeria de Paiva
From: Valeria de Paiva @ 2010-08-12  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for the link. I looked at the slides and while the basic idea
seems nice enough, usually saying "X is Y" is only useful if the
identification allows you to prove interesting stuff, which doesn't
seem to be the case. quite yet? perhaps?

in any case, I'm always happy to see people arguing the usefulness of
Category Theory for Computer Science anew, so thanks for the pointer!

Regards,
Valeria

@ 2010-08-12  7:04 ` Toby Bartels
From: Toby Bartels @ 2010-08-12  7:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eduardo J. Dubuc wrote in part:

>I gave up because it is (for me) very annoying to follow a talk were you
>are forced to look at the face of the speaker instead of looking at the
>projection slides he is referring to (or talking about).

The slides are also available at that same link.
Theoretically, you are supposed to have the slides and video up at once,
in separate windows, I think.  I don't find that convenient, however.

--Toby

* Re: "Databases are Categories" (again)
@ 2010-08-12  6:49 ` Timothy Porter
From: Timothy Porter @ 2010-08-12  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

   Some slides are available at

http://www.uoregon.edu/~dspivak/cs/galois.pdf