categories - Category Theory list
From: John Kennison <JKennison@clarku.edu>
To: Michael Barr <barr@math.mcgill.ca>, Categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: RE: Question on choosing subobjects consistently
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 06:10:39 -0400	[thread overview]

When Grothendieck says to "choose sub objects" what does he mean since a subobjrcts is an equivalence class of monos? If he means to choose monos into  each object such that each subobject is represented by a unique chosen mono and a composition of two chosen monos is again a chosen mono, then this is false as there are counter examples. There can be thre objects A B C such  that there are two nonequivalent monos from B to C and a mono from A to B such that when you compse the mono from A to B with the monos from B to C you get equivalent monos tom A to C representing the same sub object of C.