categories - Category Theory list
* Question on choosing subobjects consistently
@ 2010-08-26 22:09 Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2010-08-26 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

In his Tohoku paper, Grothendieck asserted with no proof that in any
category it is possible to choose subobjects for each object so that each
monomorphism is isomorphic to a unique subobject of the codomain and in
such a way that a subobject of a subobject of an object is also one of the
chosen subobjects of the original objects.  Maybe I am being dense, but I
don't see how this is always possible.  Does anyone on the list?  I also
don't see what possible value there is in making such a choice, but this
doubtless was not clear in 1957.

The translation (and revision) is coming along fine and I expect to
release it within a month.

Michael

* RE: Question on choosing subobjects consistently
@ 2010-08-28 10:10 ` John Kennison
From: John Kennison @ 2010-08-28 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Barr, Categories list

When Grothendieck says to "choose sub objects" what does he mean since a subobjrcts is an equivalence class of monos? If he means to choose monos into  each object such that each subobject is represented by a unique chosen mono and a composition of two chosen monos is again a chosen mono, then this is false as there are counter examples. There can be thre objects A B C such  that there are two nonequivalent monos from B to C and a mono from A to B such that when you compse the mono from A to B with the monos from B to C you get equivalent monos tom A to C representing the same sub object of C.

@ 2010-08-29 13:32   ` Michael Barr
From: Michael Barr @ 2010-08-29 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Kennison; +Cc: Peter Freyd, categories

Here is what Grothendieck actually said (in our translation):

"Thus a subobject of $A$ is not simply an object of \C, but an
object $B$, together with a monomorphism $u:B\to A$ called the
\emph{canonical injection} of $B$ into $A$.  (Nonetheless, by abuse of
language, we will often designate a subobject of $A$ by the name $B$
of the corresponding object of \C.)  The containment relation defines an
\emph{order} relation (not merely a preorder relation) on the class of
subobjects of $A$.  It follows from the above that the subobjects of
$A$ that are contained in a subobject $B$ are identified with the
subobjects of $B$, this correspondence respecting the natural
order."

It all depends on what he meant by "are identified with".  Maybe I am
making too much of this.  He regularly uses "=" for isomorphism (which I
have mostly changed in the translation).

@ 2010-08-28 14:35 ` John Kennison
From: John Kennison @ 2010-08-28 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Freyd, categories

Peter just said it better, but to clarify what I said: First, it is possible that Grothendieck intended the following: as usual, say that two monos are equivalent if they have the same codomain with an isomorphism between their domains which commutes with the two monos.  Choose exactly one mono from  each equivalence class and call it a canonical mono. Then define a subobject as a canonical mono and a subobject of a subobject as the canonical mono  equivalent to the composition.

Secondly, it is not always possible to define a class of canonical monos (as above) which is closed under composition. Consider the category with 3 objects, A,B,C, in which every hom set. Hom(X,Y) is a subset of the group Z_2  with two elements. Let Hom(A,A) =Hom(A,B)=Hom(A,C)=Hom(B,C)=Z_2. Let Hom(B,A) and Hom(C,B) be empty and let Hom(B,B) and Hom(C,C) each consist of just the identity of Z_2. All compositions will be given by the group operation. Then there are two non-equivalent monos from B to C, so they must both be canonical. The two monos from A to B are equivalent, so only one of them can be canonical. But the compositions of this canonical mono with each of the two canonical monos from B to C give us two canonical monos from A to C but they are equivalent.