categories - Category Theory list
* additive 2-categories and related structures?
@ 2010-08-29 10:01 Ronnie Brown
From: Ronnie Brown @ 2010-08-29 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

   I would be grateful for information on published or available work in
this area.

I am thinking of an additive category as a ring with several objects, as
in Mitchell's well known paper. So in a sense am looking at 2-rings.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ronnie Brown

* Re:  additive 2-categories and related structures?
@ 2010-08-30  1:18 ` David Roberts
From: David Roberts @ 2010-08-30  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronnie Brown; +Cc: categories

Hi Ronnie,

There is the work of Matthieu Dupont, see his page

http://breckes.org/dom-en.html

His PhD thesis is on abelian categories in dimension 2.

David

@ 2010-08-30  1:50 ` Richard Garner
From: Richard Garner @ 2010-08-30  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ronnie Brown; +Cc: categories

Dear Ronnie,

You can find many good things in Mathieu Dupont's PhD thesis:

http://arxiv.org/abs/0809.1760

Richard

@ 2010-08-31  7:47   ` Urs Schreiber
From: Urs Schreiber @ 2010-08-31  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Roberts, Ronnie Brown; +Cc: categories

Dear Ronnie,

only just saw your message via David's reply.

Just for completeness it seems one should say that there is quite a
bit known about additive n-categories even for n all the way from 1 to
infinity -- they are called stable infinity-categories. Examples of
these are in particular given by modules over infinity-rings -- which
are maybe better known as ring spectra!

A modern entry point into the theory, from a category-theoretic point of view is

Jacob Lurie
Commutative algebra
http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0703204

But the basic elements and examples of the theory, such as
E-infinity-rings, A-infinity-algebras and their modules and module
categories are of course way older and quite classical even.

All the best
Urs