categories - Category Theory list
From: Micah Blake McCurdy <micah.mccurdy@gmail.com>
To: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: String diagrams, adjunction and autonomous categories.
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 23:31:02 -0300	[thread overview]

Hallo!

In an autonomous category, the functor B -o _ is "representable" in the
sense that it can be written as B* (x) _ for some object B*. If k is the
unit for (x), then there are maps "unit" : k ----> B* (x) B and "counit" : B
(x) B* ---> k which satisfy triangle identities, usually written graphically
as zig-zags which equal identities. The isomorphism you mention in your
first paragraph is obtained by appending the unit for A.

So, the bends in the wires are the same in both paragraphs.

Incidentally, although I'm not sure that I'm familiar with the work of Baez
to which you refer, I would imagine that the use of string diagrams to
describe units and counits in an autonomous category is considerably older,
at least as far back as "Planar Diagrams and Tensor Algebra" by Joyal and
Street (available on the website of the latter) from 1988.

Cheers,

Micah