categories - Category Theory list
* Makkai's suggestion
@ 2010-08-29  5:26 David Leduc
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Leduc @ 2010-08-29  5:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

In "Towards a categorical foundation of mathematics", Makkai wrote that:

"This suggests that, possibly, the right approach to the definition of weak
n-category is to aim at formulating all coherence conditions at once,
regardless the fact that this might give a very "theoretical" definition. It
would then be a separate, and still very important, project to find a
(hopefully) finite and concise set of coherence conditions that would be
enough to imply all coherence conditions."

It was 15 years ago! Did this approach give something?

* Makkai's suggestion
@ 2010-09-03  4:04 John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2010-09-03  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Greg writes:

> Of course, after following such a path of least resistance, a journeyman
> categoryist might look at a variety of alternatives and consider their
> trade-offs. In this effort, the very quality you point out is of great
> utility in developing a genuine understanding of the design space. The
> initial presentation, this path of least resistance formulation, however,
> ought to have a precise sense in which it is *initial*, like an initial
> algebra.

Leinster's refinement of Batanin's approach defines weak infinity-categories
as algebras of an "initial globular operad with contractions".

Here "globular" means we're doing infinity-categories in the obvious way,
where given two n-morphisms f,g: x -> y we can talk about (n+1)-morphisms
from f to g.

"Algebra of a globular operad with contractions" means we can compose these
n-morphisms in all the pictorially obvious ways, and every pictorially
plausible law holds *up to a higher morphism*.

"Initial" means we're doing this in exactly the right way: for example,
there aren't any *extra* ways of composing morphisms, and we're not sticking
in *too many* of these higher morphisms.

I am sure people will eventually come up with better ways to do
infinity-category theory.  Eventually most math majors will learn it in
college (unless our current civilization collapses in less than, say, 150
years).    But the approaches we've got right now are already pretty good.
Learn 'em!

Best,
jb