categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Is equality evil?‏
@ 2010-09-24 15:30 Mattias Wikström
From: Mattias Wikström @ 2010-09-24 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Toby Bartels wrote:
> Right. I would prefer to use no identity types at all.
> If there is a particular predicate (on some particular type)
> that you would like to think of as equality (on that type),
> then write down its definition and introduce a symbol for it.

If any (well-behaved) equivalence relation can be thought of as
equality then it would seem to follow that equality is relative. That
is:
1) A and B may be the same thing from one point of view and two
different things from another point of view,
2) the cardinality of {A, B} may be either 1 or 2 depending on what
point of view one takes, and
3) it may be that from one point of view there is no property that
distinguishes A from B while from another point of view there is a
property P that distinguishes A from B (for consistency I guess one
has to say that relative to the first viewpoint, not only does P not
exist, but the second viewpoint also fails to exist).

In the philosophical literature the idea that equality/identity is
relative is credited to philosopher Peter Geach (I can give a list of
references if anyone is interested). It has few adherents, but maybe
category theory can make it popular.

Best regards,
Mattias

* Re: Is equality evil?
@ 2010-09-25  0:16 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2010-09-25  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: Toby Bartels, Thomas Streicher

Toby Bartels <toby+categories@ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote in part:

> The point is that one can recognise that two syntactic expressions,
> such as x and x, are the same, ...

Sorry, Toby, when I see "such as x and x" I have to struggle to
treat the expression between "as" and "and" as anything other than
different from the expression following the "and" -- for, if they
were really the same, there would be but one expression, not two,
it would be in one of those positions only, not both (I'm put in mind
of the good old "Cheech and Chong"-ism, "How can you be in two places
at once, if you're not anywhere at all?"), and you'd have used not
the plural verb form "are" but the singular "is".

An illustration from another realm: each time the clerk behind the deli
counter finishes with one customer and shouts "Next!" so as to bring up
another one, the expression the clerk shouts refers to an entirely
different customer than it did the time just before.

> ... or even that one reduces to another,
> such as fst(x,y) and x (where fst: A x B -> A is the usual projection),

Again I'm puzzled: what can fst(x,y) (where fst: A x B -> A is as you say)
possibly have to do with x (as in A x B, presumably -- or did you mean
as in fst(x,y), which could be problematic for void B)?

Sorry to be so obtuse, but ...; cheers, -- Fred

* are fibrations evil?
@ 2010-09-15 11:43 Thomas Streicher
From: Thomas Streicher @ 2010-09-15 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

On the occasion of the discussion about "evil" I want to point out an example
where speaking about equality of objects seems to be indispensible.
If P : XX -> BB is a functor and one wants to say that it is a fibration
then one is inclined to formulate this as follows

     if u : J -> I is a map in BB and PX = I then there exists a morphism
     \phi : Y -> X with P\phi = u and \phi cartesian, i.e. ...

I don't see how to avoid reference to equality of objects in this formulation.

This already happens if XX and BB are groupoids where P : XX -> BB is a
fibration iff for all u : J -> I in BB and PX = I there is a map \phi : Y -> X
with P\phi = u.

Ironically the category of groupoids and fibrations of groupoids as families
of types was the first example of a model of type theory where equality may
be interpreted as being isomorphic.

So my conclusion is that equality of objects is sometimes absolutely
necessary. Avoiding reference to equality is also not a question of using
dependent types as some people implicitly seem to say. Even in intensional
type theory there is a notion of equality. But it is sometimes inconvenient
to use. As pointed out by Ahrens one can and should use extensional type theory
whenever convenient.
Intensional type theory allows one to interpret equality as being isomorphic,
a kind of reward for the inconvenience of using intensional identity types.

Thomas