categories - Category Theory list
* Re: Haskell Arrows and internal categories
       [not found] <AANLkTinJEsOLaF4iaMcgJoypZktx4q-AFCpTtmw+5oz=@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-09-27 23:45 ` Mike Stay
       [not found] ` <AANLkTik1xN6-cDm+0DezF3xfRUhKRrR95ZBiC-zrYj-R@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mike Stay @ 2010-09-27 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 3:50 PM, Mike Stay <metaweta@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand Arrows in Haskell,
>    http://www.haskell.org/arrows/index.html
> but since I haven't become literate yet, I'm not sure I'm getting
> everything right.  It looks to me like an Arrow is a monoidal closed
> category object in Hask.  Is that all there is to it?

Hmm.  After reading "Freyd is Kleisli, for Arrows", it now looks to me
like an Arrow is an enrichment.

It consists of a V-profunctor
- A:C^op x C -> V,
where V is a monoidal category, together with a natural transformation
- arr:Hom => A
and dinatural transformations
- compose:A(b,c) x A(a,b) => A(a,c)
- first:A(a,b) => A(a tensor c, b tensor c)
satisfying various coherence laws.
--
Mike Stay - metaweta@gmail.com
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~mike

@ 2010-09-28 17:42   ` Mike Stay
From: Mike Stay @ 2010-09-28 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

On Mon, Sep 27, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Mike Stay <metaweta@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hmm.  After reading "Freyd is Kleisli, for Arrows", it now looks to me
> like an Arrow is an enrichment.
>
> It consists of a V-profunctor
> - A:C^op x C -> V,
> where V is a monoidal category, together with a natural transformation
> - arr:Hom => A

It was pointed out to me that this doesn't make sense unless C is
already V-enriched (which was the case in the two examples I saw, Set
and Hask), but if we have a monoidal functor i:Set -> V, then we can
define
   - arr:i Hom => A.
--

@ 2010-09-29 12:06   ` Bas Spitters
From: Bas Spitters @ 2010-09-29 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Stay; +Cc: categories

You may be interested in the work of my colleagues:
"Categorical semantics for Arrows" (2009) Bart Jacobs, Ichiro Hasuo
and Chris Heunen
Journal of Functional Programming, 19(3-4):403-438, 2009
http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/people/chris.heunen/publications/2008/arrows/arrows.pdf

"Arrows, like Monads, are Monoids" (2006) Bart Jacobs and Chris Heunen
(ENTCS 158:219-236) in the proceedings of MFPS 22
http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/people/chris.heunen/publications/2006/arrows/arrows.pdf

Bas

@ 2010-09-30 10:24     ` Jeff Egger
From: Jeff Egger @ 2010-09-30 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bas Spitters, Mike Stay; +Cc: categories

I should also point out recent work of my colleagues:

"What is a Categorical Model of Arrows?" Robert Atkey.
Mathematically Structured Functional Programming 2008.
http://personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/~raa/arrows.pdf
http://personal.cis.strath.ac.uk/~raa/msfp-slides-arrows.pdf

"Idioms are oblivious, arrows are meticulous, monads are promiscuous."
Sam Lindley, Philip Wadler, and Jeremy Yallop.
In the proceedings of MSFP 2008. ENTCS.
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/slindley/papers/idioms-arrows-monads.pdf

"The arrow calculus." Sam Lindley, Philip Wadler and Jeremy Yallop.
In the Journal of Functional Programming 20:1, pages 51-69, January 2010.
Cambridge University Press.
http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/slindley/papers/arrow-calculus.pdf

Cheers,
Jeff.

@ 2010-09-30 13:39   ` Mike Stay
From: Mike Stay @ 2010-09-30 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Thanks everyone for your responses, both on- and off-list!