categories - Category Theory list
From: Martin Escardo <m.escardo@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: categories <categories@mta.ca>, André <joyal.andre@uqam.ca>
Cc: Juergen Koslowski <koslowj@iti.cs.tu-bs.de>
Subject: Re: potential names
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 05:45:50 +0100	[thread overview]

What about "dangerous" rather than "evil"? (I also dislike religious and
moral terminology for mathematics. I specially dislike the terminology
"morally true", which I often hear, although I like the concept.)

We frequently encounter dangerous situations in our mathematical paths,
no matter how hard we try to avoid them, but if we know what we are
doing it is ok.

In this discussion about "evilness", what is important is to know that
lack of invariance under isomorphisms is dangerous (and why this is so),
and that you must consciously know how to properly proceed if your
definition happens to be not invariant, be it for necessity, lack of a
better idea, or mere convenience.

MHE