categories - Category Theory list
* Re: The omega-functor omega-category
@ 2010-10-04 21:00 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2010-10-04 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories; +Cc: Vaughan Pratt

In his message of Mon, 04 Oct 2010 08:16:25 AM EDT, Vaughan Pratt
<pratt@cs.stanford.edu> quibbled with what on 10/2/2010 3:03 PM,
Michael Shulman had written:

>> I personally prefer to say that "unique choice structure" is something
>> "in between" property and structure.  Kelly and Lack dubbed it
>> "Property-like structure" in their paper with that title.  The
>> difference is exactly as you say: property-like structure is unique
>> (up to unique isomorphism) when it exists, but is not necessarily
>> "preserved" by all morphisms.
>
> How should this terminology be applied when the property-like structure
> is necessarily preserved by all morphisms?
>
> A group can be defined as a monoid with the property that all of its
> elements have inverses.  The inverse is preserved by all morphisms.

A group can also be defined as a *semigroup* with that property.
"The inverse" need no longer be "preserved by all morphisms."

> A Boolean algebra can be defined as a bounded distributive lattice with
> the property that all of its elements have complements.  The complement
> is preserved by all morphisms.

Depends what you take to be a bounded lattice. Do you specify *finitary*
meets and joins, including the explicit empty ones that produce the bounds?
Or just *binary* ones, with the bounds *required* but not *specified*?
In the former situation, yes, "the complement is preserved by all morphisms."
In the latter situation, alas, no.

> Are these merely "property-like structures," or are they actual
> structures, despite being defined merely as properties?

When such a "property-like structure" *is* preserved, it is perhaps
implicitly trying to behave like an "actual" structure, and could
certainly be harmlessly added to the actual structural specifications,
but, with so much riding on the *context* in which one is asking
about that property-like structure, I'm not yet ready just to declare
them, willy-nilly, to be "actual structures".

Cheers, -- Fred

* Re: The omega-functor omega-category
@ 2010-10-05 14:13 ` David Leduc
From: David Leduc @ 2010-10-05 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

It's funny that each time I ask a dummy question on this mailing list,
after some time my thread ends up in a "philosophical" discussion.
Last time I inadvertently used the word "evil" in a question and you
know what happened.

I have just asked another dummy question on horizontal composition in
a 2-category. Please teach me some mathematics.

* Re: The omega-functor omega-category
@ 2010-10-04 18:41           ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2010-10-04 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaughan Pratt; +Cc: categories

By definition (at least according to the usage under discussion),
something necessarily preserved by all morphisms is a "property,"
although it can also be regarded as a particular degenerate case of a
structure and, I guess, also a degenerate case of a property-like
structure.

property = forgetful functor is full and faithful
structure = forgetful functor is faithful
property-like structure = forgetful functor is pseudomonic

http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/stuff%2C+structure%2C+property

Mike

@ 2010-10-04  7:52         ` Vaughan Pratt
From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2010-10-04  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

       [not found] ` <AANLkTin3LqPLuMFD-xSEuRK9TqBUbHrRRxrdcOEykJJo@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-10-03 22:11   ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2010-10-03 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin McLarty; +Cc: categories

Rereading my message, I realized I should perhaps clarify that not
just the name, but (as far as I know) the concept itself was
originated by Kelly and Lack.  The example of semigroups is also in
their paper, which is concerned mainly with the case when the
forgetful functor is also 2-monadic.  The resulting "property-like
2-monads" generalize both "lax-idempotent" (= "Kock-Zoberlein")
2-monads, such as those which assign colimits, and the dual
"colax-idempotent" 2-monads, such as those which assign limits.  But
they are strictly more general than either: for instance, a 2-monad
which assigns both limits and colimits is property-like, but not lax-
or colax-idempotent.

Mike

@ 2010-10-02 22:03       ` Michael Shulman
From: Michael Shulman @ 2010-10-02 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steve Vickers; +Cc: John Baez, categories

@ 2010-10-01 14:22     ` Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2010-10-01 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Baez; +Cc: categories

       [not found] ` <AANLkTi=LXzu13GU8ZmB=+-qGTQmV3S-bDp6h+dJJ1xNJ@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2010-09-30  3:10   ` John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2010-09-30  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

@ 2010-09-30  0:29       ` David Leduc
From: David Leduc @ 2010-09-30  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Baez; +Cc: categories

@ 2010-09-29  1:09     ` John Baez
From: John Baez @ 2010-09-29  1:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

       [not found] ` <E1P0Oe6-0005AL-SX@mlist.mta.ca>
@ 2010-09-28  1:11   ` David Leduc
From: David Leduc @ 2010-09-28  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Leinster; +Cc: categories

       [not found] ` <1216D94C-81A2-49A7-95B3-7543B315A54B@mq.edu.au>
@ 2010-09-26  5:00   ` David Leduc
From: David Leduc @ 2010-09-26  5:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Street; +Cc: Urs Schreiber, categories Rosebrugh

Dear Ross,

> If V = 2Cat then V-Cat = 3Cat . . . and on it goes.

OK. So if V = omegaCat, then V-Cat = omegaCat.

Now how do you define (recursively) the internal-hom of omegaCat?

David

* Re: The omega-functor omega-category
@ 2010-09-26  2:00     ` David Leduc
From: David Leduc @ 2010-09-26  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Urs Schreiber; +Cc: Ross Street, categories

Dear all,

Thank you for your replies.

All the constructions I can find rely on strict omega-categories
defined as graphs with structure. If instead we define recursively a
strict omega-category as a category enriched over a strict
omega-category, is there a recursive way to define the omega-category
of omega-functors (between two fixed omega-categories)?

David

* Re: The omega-functor omega-category
       [not found] ` <BF755983-D6D4-469B-9206-C6B275699C3F@mq.edu.au>
@ 2010-09-25 11:22   ` Urs Schreiber
From: Urs Schreiber @ 2010-09-25 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Street; +Cc: David Leduc, categories

Dear Ross,

concerning the internal hom of strict omega-categories:

>>> Given two strict omega-categories C and D, how do you define the
>>> strict omega-category of omega-functors between C and D?
>>
>> There is the Crans-Gray tensor product on StrOmegaCat that makes it
>> biclosed monoidal.
>
> I think David was asking about the simpler cartesian closed structure on
> omega-Cat. This is constructed in
>
>        The algebra of oriented simplexes, J. Pure Appl. Algebra 49 (1987)
> 283-335

You know all this, but for the record I say the following:

The cartesian closed structure has an internal hom that is a
restriction of the internal hom wrt the Gray structure. Usually the
one of the Gray structure is the one of interest. It is the one closer
to the full oo-category theoretic notion (the one with no strictness
constraints whatsoever).

The Crans-Gray tensor product with its property that

  G^k otimes G^l

is k+l-dimensional is the fix in the globular model for what in the
simplicial model is automatic, namely that

   Delta^k x Delta^l

is k+l-dimensional. That this is automatic for the cartesian product
in simplicial sets but requires more work for globular sets is one of
the reasons why simplicial models for oo-categrories are more
highly-developed than globular ones: they are easier.

A good brief introduction to this is on the first few pages of Sjoerd Crans'

A tensor product for Gray-categories
  http://www.emis.de/journals/TAC/volumes/1999/n2/5-02abs.html

(After that introduction the article goes on to refine the globular
Gray tensor product to the case of _weak_  (or rather: semi-strict)
3-categories.)

But of course for the purposes of David's application (which I don't
know about) the strict version of the internal hom might be
sufficient.

Best,
Urs

* Re:  The omega-functor omega-category
@ 2010-09-25  1:40   ` Ross Street
From: Ross Street @ 2010-09-25  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Urs Schreiber; +Cc: David Leduc, categories

Dear Urs

On 25/09/2010, at 1:13 AM, Urs Schreiber wrote:

>> Given two strict omega-categories C and D, how do you define the
>> strict omega-category of omega-functors between C and D?
>
> There is the Crans-Gray tensor product on StrOmegaCat that makes it
> biclosed monoidal.

I think David was asking about the simpler cartesian closed structure
on omega-Cat. This is constructed in

 	The algebra of oriented simplexes, J. Pure Appl. Algebra 49 (1987)
283-335

for example.

Ross

* Re:  The omega-functor omega-category
@ 2010-09-24 15:13 ` Urs Schreiber
       [not found] ` <BF755983-D6D4-469B-9206-C6B275699C3F@mq.edu.au>
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Urs Schreiber @ 2010-09-24 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Leduc; +Cc: categories

> Given two strict omega-categories C and D, how do you define the
> strict omega-category of omega-functors between C and D?

There is the Crans-Gray tensor product on StrOmegaCat that makes it
biclosed monoidal.

So for G^n the standard n-globe regarded as a strict omega-category,
the (right/left) internal hom between strict omega-categories X and Y
is

  [X,Y ]  = Hom( X otimes G^bullet , Y ) .

See

   http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Crans-Gray+tensor+product

for references.

Best,
Urs

* The omega-functor omega-category
@ 2010-09-23 10:07 David Leduc
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: David Leduc @ 2010-09-23 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi,

Given two strict omega-categories C and D, how do you define the
strict omega-category of omega-functors between C and D?

Thanks,

David