categories - Category Theory list
From: Richard Garner <richard.garner@mq.edu.au>
To: "Prof. Peter Johnstone" <P.T.Johnstone@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: terminology for simplicial sets
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:05:34 +1100	[thread overview]

Dear Peter,

Though I do not have a direct answer to your question the following
seems at least relevant. By a semi-simplicial set, we mean a presheaf
on Delta_f, the lluf subcategory of Delta spanned by the face
operators (I think the terminology here is nowadays standard). The
inclusion i: Delta_f -> Delta induces by left Kan extension a functor
Lan_i from the category of semi-simplicial sets to the category of
simplicial sets, which is faithful and, though not full, at least full
on isomorphisms. Now a simplicial set satisfies the condition you name
just when it lies in the replete image of this functor. This suggests
that one might reasonably call a simplicial set satisfying your
condition "semi-simplicial", and a map between two such
"semi-simplicial" when it maps non-degenerate simplices to
non-degenerate simplices. Another way of looking at it is that the
semi-simplicial objects are those admitting coalgebra structure for
the comonad (i^* o Lan_i) on simplicial sets; since Lan_i is full on
isomorphisms, such structure will be unique up to unique isomorphism
when it exists. The semi-simplicial maps between such objects are
those which are coalgebra homomorphisms for some (and hence every)
choice of coalgebra structure on their domain and codomain.

Richard