categories - Category Theory list
* terminology for simplicial sets
@ 2010-10-19 10:54 Prof. Peter Johnstone
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Prof. Peter Johnstone @ 2010-10-19 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

In something I've been thinking about recently, the condition
on a simplicial set that all faces of non-degenerate simplices
are non-degenerate seems to play a significant role. Does anyone
know whether this condition has been considered previously, and
if so whether it has a standard name?

The condition is of course satisfied by those simplicial sets
which are derived from simplicial complexes in the standard way,
but it's more general: it allows the possibility that two
(formally) different faces of a non-degenerate simplex might
coincide, as long as they're not degenerate.

Peter Johnstone

* Re: terminology for simplicial sets
@ 2010-10-21 11:18 Eduardo J. Dubuc
From: Eduardo J. Dubuc @ 2010-10-21 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

Dear Peter (which one ?)

After the recent discussions on "evil", I hope we all realized that to have a
"descriptive name" is very often conflictive (and evil !!). I would say also
that it is always misleading.

Welcome Peter May for such a simple and brief name,
                   "Property A" is perfect !!, why hoping for something else ?.

Well, seriously, very often in mathematical practice "descriptive" names are
not convenient because there is no name that adapts really to the property or
concept. In that case, it is much better to use a "neutral" non descriptive
name, even just a letter or a meaningles combination of 2 or 3 letters and
numbers (may be related to the property, like AB5 for example).

I propose the following:

Call the property of being invariant under equivalence of categories

property IEC, and instead of "evil" use "not IEC".

Greetings to all   e.j.