categories - Category Theory list
* "schizophrenic" reference
@ 2010-10-27 10:21 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2010-10-27 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

At the Halifax Octoberfest just ended, I had mistakenly,
in a private conversation, suggested looking in or near
Chapter 4 section 5 of PTJ's Stone Spaces for occurrence
of the word "schizophrenic." I regret that error.
Better places to look might be page 268 of that book,
or passim on pages 254-262, and thereabouts. Grosso modo:
not Chapter 4 section 5, but Chapter 6 section 4.

Cheers, -- Fred

* Re:  "schizophrenic" reference
@ 2010-10-28 18:08 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2010-10-28 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Prof. Peter Johnstone; +Cc: categories

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 05:14:24 AM EDT Prof. Peter Johnstone
<P.T.Johnstone@dpmms.cam.ac.uk> wrote:

> ... I don't claim credit (if that's the right word) for
> introducing this use of "schizophrenic". I got it from ...

I wasn't aiming for an attribution of credit -- only for
a citation of use of the term in the accessible literature.

Certainly I have, over the years, heard at least Isbell and
Lawvere -- and others -- refer to schizophrenic objects,
schizoid objects, objects with "split" -- or "multiple", or
"more than one" -- personality, and the like.

How far back, "over the years"? -- Probably at least to the
early 'seventies, quite possibly earlier.

Cheers, -- Fred

[parent not found: <20101101135231.CF3035C25C@chase.mathstat.dal.ca>]