categories - Category Theory list
* CT2010 Proceedings: Deadline approaching/extension
@ 2010-10-28 20:15 Bob Rosebrugh
From: Bob Rosebrugh @ 2010-10-28 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

We have received requests for an extension of the submission deadline for
the CT2010 issue of JPAA. We will respond positively to a request to
submit an article by November 30.

We do ask that an intention to submit be made known to us by *November 8*.

best to all,
Jiri Adamek, George Janelidze, Pino Rosolini, Bob Rosebrugh

* concept & truth-value
@ 2010-11-03 13:31 ` Posina Venkata Rayudu
From: Posina Venkata Rayudu @ 2010-11-03 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

   Dear All,

Sentences, which are put together from words embodying concepts
[according to the laws of Grammar], can be true or false, but parts of
sentences i.e. words (e.g. of) can not be assigned a truth-value.

I'd appreciate very much any clarification or explanation of the above
observation, which many of you may also have made and thought about it
and worked on it.

I thought of sending this questions to catlist in part because I found
that similar observations are often made by those working in category
theory and those working in cognitive science. For example, Prof.
Lawvere in his 'Foundations and Applications' paper points out that it
is 'incorrect to think that concepts can be adequately characterized in
terms of properties alone.' As if echoing Lawvere, Smith and Medin also
draw our attention to the empirical finding that 'just listing
properties does not completely specify the knowledge represented in a
concept. People also know about the relations between the properties.'

Lawvere, F. W. (2003). Foundation and Applications: Axiomatization and
Education. The Bulletin of Symbolic Logic 9, p. 220.
Smith, E. E., and Medin, D. L. (1981). Categories and Concepts.
Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, p. 83.

Thanking you,
Sincerely yours,
posina