categories - Category Theory list
* Re:  Communes paper, schismatic objects
@ 2010-11-07 20:05 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2010-11-07 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Todd Trimble, Vaughan Pratt; +Cc: Categories list

Todd Trimble writes, inter alia,

> ... The natural "home" of 2 from
> this point of view is in Bool(CH) = CH(Bool).

I quite agree that Bool(CH) and CH(Bool) are quite equivalent.
But they are far from *equal*. Each serves as a 'natural "home"'
for 2, and the object 2 in its one home has a radically different
personality -- and interacts with radically different colleagues
-- than in its other.

Moreover, as shown in Stone Spaces, 2 has rather more natural
homes -- and personalities -- than merely these two :-) , whence
my inclination to speak of its *multiple* personalities (pace Tom L.).

Cheers, -- Fred

* Re:  Communes paper, schismatic objects
       [not found]   ` <3827E0D667BC4DDB9CA346B29AF2DD9B@PC162032150465>
@ 2010-11-06 14:12   ` Todd Trimble
From: Todd Trimble @ 2010-11-06 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaughan Pratt; +Cc: Categories list

Thanks, Vaughan, for clearing that up. I've only been consistently tuning in
to this list recently, and so I may have missed the last time you made this
point.

I'll take this opportunity to re-iterate a point I was trying to make which
may have gotten lost in this side discussion: that IMO the words
"schizophrenic" (and "schismatic" for that matter) are not really all that
apt, even if we put aside Tom Leinster's concern about perpetuating popular
misconceptions about a psychiatric term. I'll only say this one more time,
because I understand that many readers are tired of terminological debates
(I usually quickly get tired of them too).

In the case of classical Stone duality, we have a span of functors CH <--
BoolCH --> Bool, where 2 is a Boolean algebra object in the category of
compact Hausdorff spaces, or equivalently a "compact Hausdorff space object"
in the category of Boolean algebras (where a compact Hausdorff object can be
defined algebraically in any category with small products as a
product-preserving functor from the large infinitary Lawvere theory whose
operations are parametrized by ultrafilters).

I proposed "ambimorphic" to describe such an object where we have two
commutatively interacting structures, and here it is immediate from
algebraic theory nonsense that the ambimorphic object 2 induces the two
sides hom(-, 2)^{op}: CH --> Bool^{op}  and  hom(-, 2): Bool^{op} --> CH  of
an adjoint pair leading up to Stone duality. The natural "home" of 2 from
this point of view is in Bool(CH) = CH(Bool). (Not in CH or Bool, because
these two senses of 2 do not match up under the equivalence StoneSpace^{op}
~ Bool, as Vaughan has pointed out.)

Of course I understand where the expression "schizophrenic" comes from: in
our running example we can push 2 down either to CH or to Bool, and from
that point of view 2 is considered as having a kind of "split personality"
(sorry, Tom). But that's sort of a funny way of thinking about it: those
personalities are perfectly and harmoniously united in the home Bool(CH).
It's as if we were to think of the left arm of the span as split from the
right arm, but it's a little odd to contemplate two arms as "split" from
each other if there's a body in the middle connecting them and the two work
together.

For this reason I consider "ambimorphic" as a far more apt term for the
general situation (and it seems to pass some of Eduardo's criteria as well).
If you (the plural "you", not you Vaughan) don't want to use it, fine, or if
you think battling against "schizophrenia" is a losing battle, that's
obviously your prerogative. I for my part will continue using "ambimorphic",
and obviously would be pleased if others began to adopt that term as well.

Todd

From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2010-11-05 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

  > For example, it seemed unlikely to me that anyone here would confuse
  > this with the Sierpinski space 2 (which isn't compact Hausdorff after
  > all).

Good point, sorry about that.  I tend to picture all these things as
embedded in much larger categories and somehow managed to overlook the
fence that entitled both you and Peter to recycle Sierpinski's nickname.

  > I don't understand why you mailed that explanation. Did you think
  > I was confused? Do I need to clarify what I wrote?

Let me answer these at the end, while hastening to offer my apologies
now in case I said anything that might have appeared critical of your
point that the dualizing object in both CH and Bool has two elements,
which is perfectly true.

Earlier I had been making a different point, that in general duality
interchanges nonisomorphic objects.  When I saw your example I seized on
it as a perfect illustration of my point.  Again I'm sorry if it seemed
I was trying to replace your point with mine, I merely wanted to enlarge
on it with an additional point.

  > The notations I and _|_ which you brought into this discussion are
  > perhaps best understood in the context of *-autonomous categories,
  > for example Chu(Set, 2).

For any category C, nothing to do with *-autonomy, one writes G and K
for objects for which C(G,-) and C(-,K) are faithful.  In both varieties
CH and Bool, G is the (free algebra on one) generator while K is the
corresponding cogenerator, and this remains so in Stone (~ Bool^op) as a
full subcategory of CH retaining G and K.

Since the infinite parts of these categories don't bear on the
discussion, for convenience here I'll take all these names to denote
only their finite parts, making CH, Stone, and Set equivalent, and dual
to Bool.  This avoids complications with tensor products (there may be
none for all I know but this way is simple).  Pedagogically speaking
FinSet and FinBool make a great starter kit for duality, while if you're
a finite model theorist, who could ask for anything more?

In Set etc., G is the unit for the cartesian tensor, justifying calling
it I there if not for Bool ("morally" a tensor unit at least).  And K is
systematically used as the dualizing object, justifying calling it _|_
even in non-self-dual categories.

  > there is a contravariant hom
  > hom_{CH}(-, 2): CH^{op} --> Set
  > which lifts to Bool through the underlying functor Bool --> Set.

Yes, and when so lifted it interchanges I and _|_.

But being contravariant it also reverses the arrows from I to _|_, which
then end up being the arrows from I to _|_ again.

In all these categories the arrows from I to _|_ are the elements of _|_.

This is my preferred account of the dual identities of I and _|_, which
can be traced ultimately to the fact that duality does not preserve
either I or _|_, instead it preserves the arrows from I to _|_.

So when one says 2 is schizophrenic, ambimorphic, schismatic, or has a
double identity, one is really remarking on the invariance of "it's"
elements, of which there are two.  They reside neither in I nor _|_ but
in C(I,_|_), and if one takes one's frame of reference to be those
arrows then duality leaves them untouched while interchanging their
domain and codomain.

What changes with this interchange is not the elements of _|_ but those
of I, of which there are respectively 1 and 4.

Your point concerned the elements of _|_, mine the elements of I.  There
is no inconsistency, you were not confused, and you do not need to
clarify what you wrote, rather I did, which I hope I've done.

Vaughan

@ 2010-11-05  6:42   ` Todd Trimble
       [not found]   ` <3827E0D667BC4DDB9CA346B29AF2DD9B@PC162032150465>
From: Todd Trimble @ 2010-11-05  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaughan Pratt; +Cc: Categories list

Dear Vaughan,

[...]

categories, for example Chu(Set, 2). (That last mention of 2

From: Vaughan Pratt @ 2010-11-03 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

@ 2010-11-01 23:52 Todd Trimble
From: Todd Trimble @ 2010-11-01 23:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

A couple of things related to recent comments on "schizophrenic".

Vaughan Pratt wrote, with regard to possible alternatives to "schizophrenic"

"So I followed Tom's pointer

     http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/dualizing+object

linking to a discussion of alternatives, which seemed inconclusive.  Sam
(Staton?) made the point however that even if schizophrenia is not the
appropriate word, schizo is the appropriate prefix, having derived from
the Greek 'split'. "

Although the discussion at the nLab might appear inconclusive, in actual
fact a number of people at the nLab and n-Category Cafe seem to have
provisionally adopted "ambimorphic", which I coined with the intended
meaning, "having both forms". I actually feel that is very appropriate in
practice; for example, in classical Stone duality, it is not enough to say
the
dualizing object 2 is "split" between being seen as a compact Hausdorff
space and as a Boolean algebra. It is both at once: a Boolean algebra
object in the category of compact Hausdorff spaces, and we need both
forms in the same body so that we can say hom_{CH}(-, 2) is a Boolean
algebra valued functor.

With regard to Dusko's recent comments: it's quite understandable that
"political correctness" and endless debates over terminology can become
tiresome. But I'm not sure "political correctness" is quite the angle from
which Tom's objection comes. At the Cafe he brought it up here:

http://golem.ph.utexas.edu/category/2007/01/more_on_duality.html#c007089

(where you can also see the consequent discussion of suggested alternatives)
and the sense I get is that it's not so much about  "protecting the weak"
as it is about wishing not to perpetuate pop misconceptions. But putting
all that aside, perhaps the emphasis on being "split" is not quite accurate
in the first place, or at least should be reconsidered, as I argue above.

Todd