categories - Category Theory list
* Hilton"s death
@ 2010-11-16 15:44 Andree Ehresmann
From: Andree Ehresmann @ 2010-11-16 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Jean Pedersen has just informed me of the death of Peter Hilton.
Hereafter is part of an obituary notice in a Binghampton paper.
We knew well Peter since Charles had invited Peter in Strasbourg while
he was still a young student, and later he visited us several times in
Paris and later in Amiens
Andree

Peter Hilton, 87, Distinguished Professor of Mathematics at Binghamton
Unïversity, died on Saturday, November 6, 2010. He is survived by his
wife Margaret, sons and daughter-in-law, Nicholas Hilton, Binghamton
and Timothy and Catherine Hilton, Seattle, Wa., two grandsons, one
great granddaughter and brother and sister-in-law, Dr. Sydney and Mary
Hilton, North Wales, U.K.
Peter was born in London, and educated at Oxford University. During
World War II, at age 18, he was recruited from Oxford, because of his
mathematical ability and knowledge of German, to work at Bletchley
Park, the secret British faciiity dedicated to breaking German codes.
Thïs project was ledby Alan Turing, the celebrated mathematician and
founder of computer science, with whom the young Peter Hilton worked
closely. Initially, Peter worked on breaking the Enigma code, and,
later, on the more refined Fish code. Once the British Official
Secrets Act was lifted in the 1980's, his lectures about the years at
Bletchley Park were highly popular at venues all over the world. He
gave several such lectures at Binghamton University.
After the War Peter obtained his doctorate from Oxford. Peter went on
to hold academic positions at Cambridge and Manchester Unïversities,
and a Chair at the University of Birmingham.
In 1962, he moved to the United States where he was Professor of
Mathematics, first at Cornell, then at the University of Washington
and the Batteile Institute. He helcl the Louis D, Beaumont Chair at
Case Western Reserve University for a number of years, ending in 1982
when he became Distinguished Professor at Binghamton University,
retiring in 1995.
Peter Hilton was one of the most influential mathematicians of his
generation. He made major contributions to algebraic topology and
homological algebra. His influence on these subjects has been
profound. In his later years he was also a significant figure in
Mathematics Education, especially in Continental Europe. He published
hundreds of research articles and many books on mathematics and
mathematics education, and he lectured at conferences into his
mid-eighties.

* Re: Hilton"s death
@ 2010-11-17  6:44 ` Timothy Porter
From: Timothy Porter @ 2010-11-17  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andree Ehresmann; +Cc: categories

Dear Andrée and everyone.

Peter's death was announced on the Alg. Top bulletin board last week.
There were several links
   to other obituaries. I can send them to anyone who is interested.
There was a lot of mention of Peter's work at Bletchley Park.

Tim