categories - Category Theory list
* Is "braided monoidal" a conservative extension of "lax braided monoidal"?
@ 2010-11-29 16:34 Alan Jeffrey
       [not found] ` <E1PNQxX-0002w5-Gy@mlist.mta.ca>
From: Alan Jeffrey @ 2010-11-29 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Hi everyone,

Is there a known result (or counterexample) saying that the equational
theory of a braided monoidal category is a conservative extension of a
lax braided monoidal category?

As a reminder, a lax braid is a natural b : A * B -> B * A satisfying
coherence conditions with the units and associators, and a braid is a
lax braid where b is an isomorphism.  The motivation for asking this
question is that string diagrams are a proof technique for braids, and
I'd like to be able to use them for lax braids too, but this requires
braiding to be a conservative extension of lax braiding.

Cheers,

Alan Jeffrey.

* Re: Is "braided monoidal" a conservative extension of "lax braided monoidal"?
       [not found] ` <E1PNQxX-0002w5-Gy@mlist.mta.ca>
@ 2010-11-30 23:43   ` Alan Jeffrey
From: Alan Jeffrey @ 2010-11-30 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ross Street; +Cc: categories

Indeed, a categorification of Garside's embedding of the positive braid
monoid into the braid group is exactly what I'm after.  Unfortunately,
the nearest published result I've been able to find is:

    Left-Garside categories, self-distributivity, and braids
    Patrick Dehornoy
    http://ambp.cedram.org/item?id=AMBP_2009__16_2_189_0

which shows this result for "the positive braid category", which has
natural numbers as objects, and braids as morphisms (and hence there are
only morphisms m --> n when m = n).  The case of a freely generated lax
braided monoidal category isn't covered, although it may follow similarly.

There's a couple of related works:

    Garside categories, periodic loops and cyclic sets
    David Bessis
    http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0610778

    Garside and locally Garside categories
    François Digne and Jean Michel
    http://arxiv.org/abs/math/0612652

but they don't appear to have exactly the categorification of Garside
either.

A.