categories - Category Theory list
From: JeanBenabou <jean.benabou@wanadoo.fr>
To: Richard Garner <richard.garner@mq.edu.au>
Cc: Categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Terminology of locally small categories without replacement
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 01:11:03 +0100	[thread overview]

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your quick answer, which unfortunately is both
incorrect and incomplete.

It is incorrect because Fib(S) does not have pullbacks or equalizers
hence it not finitely complete
It is incomplete for two reasons:
(i) When I asked for significant mathematical examples, I meant apart
from locally small fibrations, because I do not believe in abstract
nonsense "generalizations" which have no genuine examples except well
known special cases.
(ii) In my mail there was another question which you seem to have
forgotten namely: What can you prove about the locally small objects
of K, especially since you assume nothing on C ?
To complete my remark (ii) I would mind a little less the lack of
genuine examples of this generalized notion if at least under the
mere assumptions of Street on could prove a few non totally trivial
results.
I would like to point out for example that, with Street's definition,
one cannot even prove that a small object of K is locally small.

I'm sure that Ross, who gave this definition, will very soon give a
correct and complete answer to the three questions I asked him in my
previous mail.

Best regards,

Jean