categories - Category Theory list
From: JeanBenabou <jean.benabou@wanadoo.fr>
To: Categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Fibrations in a 2-category
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 08:31:54 +0100	[thread overview]

I have seen very often the following "abstract" definition of a
fibration in a 2-category C :
A map (i.e. a 1-cell) p: X --> S is a fibration iff for each object Y
of C the functor C(Y,p):  C(Y,X) --> C(Y,S) is a fibration (in the
usual sense) which depends "2-functorially" on Y.

Such an "obvious" definition is much too naive and does not give the
correct notion in most examples.

1- Even if C= Cat, the 2-category of (small) categories, a fibration
in the abstract sense is a Grothendieck fibration which admits a
cleavage. Thus if we don't assume AC, which we don't need to define
fibrations, it does not coincide with the usual one.

2- The situation is much worse in more general cases. Suppose E is a
topos (this assumption is much too strong), and take C = Cat(E), the
category of internal categories in E. On can define internal
fibrations, and "fibrations" in the  previous "abstract" sense. They
do not coincide.
It all boils down to the following remark: E and (E°, Set) are
Toposes, the Yoneda functor E --> (E*,Set) preserves an reflects
limits, but "nothing else" of the internal logic, which is needed to
define internal fibrations.

Best to all,

Jean