categories - Category Theory list
From: David Roberts <droberts@maths.adelaide.edu.au>
To: Michal Przybylek <michal.przybylek@gmail.com>,
	Categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Fibrations in a 2-category
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 19:32:59 +1030	[thread overview]

I was I think a bit hasty in my last post. I thought it was possible
to separate the use of Choice in the metalogic and in Set, but I can't
see how to stop Choice 'filtering down'. However if we work not with
categories of sets but more general categories, I can get a more
definite answer.

Let S be a site (with a subcanonical singleton pretopology) so that
the bicategory Cat_ana(S) is defined, and also assume that
coequalisers of reflexive pairs exist in S.

Theorem: If Cat_ana(S) is equivalent to a 2-category Cat(C) for some
category C with finite products and coequalisers of reflexive pairs,
then covers are split in S.

Proof:

  In what follows an _equivalence_ of bicategories is defined to be a
2-functor (weak or strict) which is essentially surjective and locally
fully faithful and essentially surjective. If one has Choice in the
metalogic, then one can find a 2-functor which is an inverse up to a
isotransformation etc.

Definition: Let B be a bicategory. An object x in B is called a
_discrete object_ if B(w,x) is equivalent to a set for all objects w.

Let do(B) denote the full sub-bicategory on the discrete objects. For
any object a in a category C there is a discrete object disc(a) in
Cat(C), and disc:C --> Cat(C) is a functor. There is also a  2-functor
Cat(S) --> Cat_ana(S) for a site S (with subcanonical singleton
pretopology), which is the identity on objects. Discrete objects in
Cat(S) are precisely discrete objects in Cat_ana(S).

Lemma: If B = Cat(C) for some category C with finite products and
coequalisers of reflexive pairs of arrows, then disc:C --> do(Cat(C))
is an equivalence.

Lemma: if B = Cat_ana(S) for some site S with coequalisers of
reflexive pairs of arrows, then disc:S --> do(Cat_ana(S)) is an
equivalence.

Lemma: Let F:B --> B' be an 2-functor. Then there is a 2-functor do(B)
--> do(B') (i.e. discrete objects are mapped to discrete objects). If
F is an equivalence then it reflects discrete objects.

Corollary: If F:B --> B' is an equivalence there is an equivalence
do(B) --> do(B') given by restriction of F.

So if we have an equivalence Cat(C) --> Cat_ana(S) and both C and S
satisfy the conditions of the first two lemmas, we have a co-span of
equivalences

C --> do(Cat_ana(S)) <-- S

Thus if one doesn't mind inverting equivalences as defined here, we
have an equivalence S --> C of categories.

Lemma: Given an equivalence of categories S --> C there is an
equivalence Cat(S) --> Cat(C).

Thus we have an equivalence Cat(S) --> Cat_ana(S). But this implies
that the appropriate version of internal Choice holds in S.      #

Going back to Michal's question, this would imply that in the topos S
all regular epimorphisms split, which is of course not always true.

David