categories - Category Theory list
From: Yoshihiro Maruyama <maruyama@i.h.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
To: Andrej Bauer <andrej.bauer@andrej.com>
Cc: categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Stone duality for generalized Boolean algebras
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 13:06:17 +0900	[thread overview]

Dear Andrej,

The following paper seems to provide some details of a duality between
generalized Boolean algebras and locally compact zero-dimensional
Hausdorff spaces:

H. P. Doctor, The categories of Boolean lattices, Boolean rings, and
Boolean spaces, Canadian Mathematical Bulletin 7 (1964) 245-252.

It would be better to be careful of the morphism part of the duality
in the paper, in which continuous proper maps of locally compact
zero-dimensional Hausdorff spaces correspond to "proper" homomorphisms
of generalized Boolean algebras (and, as you noted, do not correspond
to all homomorphisms).

Since the category of Boolean algebras is a full subcategory of GBA
and their proper homomorphisms, the duality in the above paper is a
generalization of Stone duality between Boolean algebras and compact
zero-dimensional Hausdorff spaces. As you suggested, another way would
be to extend morphisms of spaces (if we place emphasis on algebras
rather than spaces).

I wish this would be useful for you.
(Sorry if I misunderstand anything.)

With best regards,