categories - Category Theory list
[parent not found: <20110129190220.DC8A8ADFB@mailscan3.ncs.mcgill.ca>]
[parent not found: <20110122220701.C8B538626@mailscan1.ncs.mcgill.ca>]
* Re: Fibrations in a 2-Category
@ 2011-01-22 10:25 JeanBenabou
From: JeanBenabou @ 2011-01-22 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Shulman, Categories

ANAFUNCTORS VERSUS DISTRIBUTORS

Dear Mike,

(I apologize for using in a few places capital letters, where
normally I would have used italics, but html is not accepted in the
Category List)

In your mail about fibrations in a 2-category, dated Jan.14, you say:

"One way to deal with the difficulty you mention is by using
"anafunctors," which were introduced by Makkai precisely in order to
avoid the use of AC in category theory".

There is "another way", which I prefer. It is using distributors,
which do much more than merely  "avoid the use of AC", and apply to
more general situations than the ones you consider. Let me first
give a very simple definition:

Let M: A -/-> B be a distributor, identified with a functor A --> (B
°, Set) = B^.
I say that M is "representable" iff for every object a of A the
presheaf M(a) is. With AC, such an M is isomorphic to a functor F: A
--> B, which is unique up to a unique isomorphism. But my definition
doesn't need any reference to AC.
I shall denote by Rep(A,B)) the full subcategory of Dist(A,B) having
as objects the representable distributors.
"Corepresentable" distributors are defined by the canonical duality
of Dist, and I denote by Corep(A,B) the corresponding category.

1-  In your example you say:

"let P --> 2 be a fibration, with fibers B and A.  Then there is
(without AC) an anafunctor A --> B, where the objects of F are the
cartesian arrows of P over the nonidentity arrow of 2, and the
projections assign to such an arrow its domain and codomain"

What I can say with distibutors is:

1' - Let P --> 2 be an ARBITRARY  functor with fibers B and A. Then
there is, without  AC, a canonical distributor A -/-> B associated to
this functor. Moreover the the functor is a fibration iff the
associated distributor is representable, and a cofibration (I think
you'd say "op-fibation") iff this distributor is corepresentable. .
(again no AC).
Which statement do you prefer?

2-  A little bit further on you say:

"More generally, if Cat_ana denotes the bicategory of categories and
anafunctors, then from any fibration P --> C we can construct (without
AC) a pseudofunctor C^{op} --> Cat_ana."

With distibutors I can say:

2' - Let F: P --> C be an ARBITRARY functor. From F, I can construct,
without AC, a normalized lax functor D(F) : C^(op) --> Dist . Then we
have, without AC:
(i) F is a Giraud functor (GIF) iff D(F) is a pseudo functor.
(ii) F is a prefibration iff for every map c of C the distributor D(F)
(c) is representable
(iii) F is a fibration iff it satisfies (i) and (ii)
(Iv) F is a cofibration if it is a GIF and the D(F!(c)'s are
corepresentable.

Which statement do you prefer ?
In (iv) I insist on the fact that it is the same D(F). Is there a
notion of "ana-cofunctor"?
Note moreover that many other important properties of F can be
characterized by very simple properties of D(F), again without AC!

3- You also say:

"An anafunctor is really a simple thing: a morphism in the bicategory
of fractions obtained from Cat by inverting the functors which are
fully faithful and essentially surjective".

Woaoo, you call this a simple thing! Ordinary categories of fractions
are very complicated, unless you have a calculus of right (or left)
fractions. Is there, precisely defined, and without neglecting the
coherence of canonical isomorphisms, such a "calculus" defined. Does
it apply to the "simple thing" of anafunctors.

4- In guise of conclusion you say:

In general, it seems to me that there are two overall approaches to
doing category theory without AC (including with internal categories
in a topos):

1) Embrace anafunctors as "the right kind of morphism between
categories" in the absence of AC
2) Insist on using only ordinary functors, so that we can work with
the strict 2-category Cat, which is simpler and stricter than Cat_ana.
"Personally, while there is nothing intrinsically wrong with (2), I
think (1) gives a more satisfactory theory."

Sorry,but your approaches 1) and 2) are not the only ones. I opt for
the following one:
3) Work with distributors.

I still have to see precise mathematical applications anafunctors..
Do I have to mention applications of distributors? Do I have to point
out that distributors can, not only be internalized, but also be
"enriched"?

5 -  You are a very persuasive person Mike, but I'm not "buying"
anafunctors, unless you give me convincing examples of what
anafunctors can do, which distributors cannot do much better.
And if you want to generalize functors, without going all the way to
arbitrary distributors, good candidates, for me, instead of
anafunctors, are  representable distibutors, which are very simple to
define rigorously and easy to work with. And of course don't use AC.,
I have a very strong guess that anafunctors are "the same thing" as
representable distributors.  I can even sketch a proof of my guess.
(i) You say that an anafunctor can be represented by a span A <-- F --
  > B where the left leg, say p, is full and faithful and surjective
on objects and the right leg, say q, is arbitrary functor.
In Dist you can take the composite: q p*: A -/-> F --> B, where p* is
the distributor right adjoint to the functor p. It is easy to see
that his composite is representable.
Thus we get a map on objects, u: Cat_ana(A,B) --> Rep(A,B)
(ii) Conversely, suppose M: A -/-> B is representable. By 1' we get a
fibration  P --> 2 thus by 1 an anafunctor A --> B .
Thus we get a map on objects,  v: Rep(A,B) --> Cat_ana(A,B) .
It should be routine that u and v extend to functors U and V and give
an equivalence of categories between Rep(A,B) and Cat_ana(A,B)
I didn't write a complete proof because, in order to do so, I'd have
to know a little more  than what you wrote about the category Cat_ana
(A,B) and I'm not ready to spend much time on the study of anafunctors.
Is my guess correct? If it isn't, where does my "sketch of proof"
break down?
In particular what is the category of anafunctors with domain the
terminal category 1 and codomain a category C?
I'd be very grateful if you could answer these questions, and some of
the ones I asked in 1) and 2).

I'm sure I didn't convince you. All I hope for, is that a few
persons, after reading this mail, and your future answer of course,
will think twice before they abandon "old fashioned"  Category Theory
with its functors, AND DISTRIBUTORS, and rush to anafunctors, with
the belief that they are unavoidable foundations for the future AC-
free "New Category Theory".

Regards,
Jean,

* Re: Fibrations in a 2-category
@ 2011-01-14  2:47 JeanBenabou
From: JeanBenabou @ 2011-01-14  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Roberts; +Cc: Categories

Dear David,

Thank you for your very kind offer. There are, at least, two reasons
for which I'll have to think about it before I give an answer.

1- You say, I quote you:
"the input is no harder than writing in (La)TeX."
This seems to be very simple for you, but considering my very limited
ability with computers (and this is an understatement) it will
probably be almost impossible for me. For example I cannot type (La)
TeX. If I need to have a text typed in TeX, I have to ask to a friend
to type it for me. This is one of the reasons why I publish very
little although I have many handwritten first drafts on various
subjects in Category Theory.
2- Even assuming the friend would help me, the nLab is a wiki system,
thus anybody would be able to modify my texts. And I'm sure I
wouldn't like that. I'm not against discussion and I wouldn't object
if one or many persons wrote their own texts, even if they are very
critical of mine, provided they give mathematical arguments to
justify their objections.

You might suggest solutions to 1 and 2, in which case I'd gladly
accept your offer.

Thanks again, and best regards,

Jean

Le 13 janv. 11 à 02:37, David Roberts a écrit :

> On 12 January 2011 17:20, JeanBenabou <jean.benabou@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> Thus the official list does not permit such discussions. Can
>> anybody tell me where they
>> can take place publicly?
>
> Dear Jean,
>
> you (and all other categories list readers) are welcome to add as much
> material on category theory of any sort as you see fit to the nLab.
>
> http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/HomePage
>
> the input is no harder than writing in (La)TeX. For example, the page
>
> http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Grothendieck+fibration
>
> deals with fibrations from several different points of view, but if
> you see fit to expand it, I (and I assume others) would be very
> pleased.
>
> Or you could start some new topics at
>
> http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Jean+Benabou
>
> and I'm sure the nLab regulars will pitch in and lend a hand. As far
> as actively discussing these ideas go, there is the nForum
>
> http://www.math.ntnu.no/~stacey/Mathforge/nForum/
>
> where it is a simple matter to sign up. In all events, the discussions
> there are public and open for all to read.
>
> Best wishes, and good luck for what sounds like a very interesting
> lecture,
>
> David Roberts

* Fibrations in a 2-category
@ 2011-01-11  7:31 JeanBenabou
From: JeanBenabou @ 2011-01-11  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories

I have seen very often the following "abstract" definition of a
fibration in a 2-category C :
A map (i.e. a 1-cell) p: X --> S is a fibration iff for each object Y
of C the functor C(Y,p):  C(Y,X) --> C(Y,S) is a fibration (in the
usual sense) which depends "2-functorially" on Y.

Such an "obvious" definition is much too naive and does not give the
correct notion in most examples.

1- Even if C= Cat, the 2-category of (small) categories, a fibration
in the abstract sense is a Grothendieck fibration which admits a
cleavage. Thus if we don't assume AC, which we don't need to define
fibrations, it does not coincide with the usual one.

2- The situation is much worse in more general cases. Suppose E is a
topos (this assumption is much too strong), and take C = Cat(E), the
category of internal categories in E. On can define internal
fibrations, and "fibrations" in the  previous "abstract" sense. They
do not coincide.
It all boils down to the following remark: E and (E°, Set) are
Toposes, the Yoneda functor E --> (E*,Set) preserves an reflects
limits, but "nothing else" of the internal logic, which is needed to
define internal fibrations.

Best to all,

Jean