categories - Category Theory list
From: "F. William Lawvere" <wlawvere@hotmail.com>
To: <pt11@paultaylor.eu>, categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: RE: Subobject Classifier Algorithm
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 11:52:25 -0500	[thread overview]

Of course the initial responses  given by Fred and me were notthemselves algorithmic, but why can they not be a prelude to such?Fred recalled the sequence of UMPs that defines Omega and I recalled what results in the case of a finite site. The hope is that experts in Maple and the like will be able to solve the sort of problem needed to generate displays. That is, given a finite presentation of a category C,find a presentation of the resulting Heyting algebra with the action ofC on it. Of course as stated this includes the Burnside problem , the Post problem etc . Hence the need for recognizing solvable subproblems.Even  for the class of graphic monoids, where the structure is finite, it growsexponentially , which has been used in the past by other computer scientists as an excuse not to consider it.  But if we are given a few fixed finite C, we can consider the class of categories discretely fiberedover them (equivalent to objects of the toposes) and try to see whetherOmega is computable in the above sense for them.
I  said contravariant 2-valued functors and of course these factor through the poset reflection. Calculating that poset reflection is a search problem  wrt
the underlying graph, but actually wrt composition as well since we have todo it for the slice categories C/A.Bill> Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 11:20:36 +0000