categories - Category Theory list
* What is Isbell completion?
@ 2011-03-06 22:54 Tom Leinster
From: Tom Leinster @ 2011-03-06 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear All,

Let A be a small category.  Isbell conjugacy gives an adjunction between

     Set^(A^op)  and  (Set^A)^op.

Like any adjunction, this restricts in a maximal way to an equivalence
between full subcategories.  Write I(A) for either side of that
equivalence.

What is I(A)?

Certainly I(A) contains the Cauchy-completion of A.  But it can be
strictly bigger: for example, if A is the initial category then I(A) is
the terminal category.  Or, if A is a discrete category with more than one
object then I(A) is A with initial and terminal objects adjoined.

One can also ask the question in an enriched setting.

Best wishes,
Tom

only message in thread, other threads:[~2011-03-06 22:54 UTC | newest]