categories - Category Theory list
From: Andrej Bauer <andrej.bauer@andrej.com>
To: "Ellis D. Cooper" <xtalv1@netropolis.net>,
	categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Constitutive Structures
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2011 12:18:16 +0200	[thread overview]

You may wish to look at Davorin Lešnik's Ph.D. thesis, where he
studies real numbers in a constructive setting (without choice). He
identifies  suitable categories inside of which the real numbers exist
as an object with a universal property that determines the reals up to
isomorphism. The various categories correspond to the various
substructure of the reals (order, additive group, ring, etc.)

An interesting question is where to find his Ph.D. thesis. I will make
him publish it somewhere on the web and will come back to you with a
link.

With kind regards,

Andrej