categories - Category Theory list
From: Marta Bunge <martabunge@hotmail.com>
To: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Lawvere on probability distributions as a monad
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2011 09:57:39 -0400	[thread overview]

Dear Jeremy Gibbons,

Strangely enough, since I have worked "extensively" for years on Lawvere distributions, I cannot help you locate the preprint in question. But I  can answer some of the questions you pose. For that, I will quote our book, Marta Bunge and Jonathon Funk, Singular Coverings of Toposes, LNM  1890, Springer 2006 and references therein. It can be downloaded from the web.

There is indeed a (Kock-Zoberlein) monad M (with unit the "Dirac delta" on the 2-category Top_S of Grothendieck toposes (actually toposes E bounded over a base topos S), called the "symmetric monad", such that the S-points of M(E), for E a topos, is the category of distributions on E in the sense of Lawvere, that is, the category of cocontinuous functors E-->S and natural transformations between them. The existence of the symmetric topos was established by myself (Bunge 1995) using forcing topologies, and given an "algebraic" construction in (Bunge-Carboni, 1995), including the KZ-monad structure. Of course we study (Bunge-Fuk 2006) the M-algebras and several other matters.

Concerning probability distributions, there is a classifying monad too. A probability distribution on a topos is a distribution that preserves the terminal object. It is shown (Bunge-Funk 2006, Proposition 8.2.6) that, for any S-topos E there is a subtopos T(E) of M(E) that classifies the probability distributions on E. This means that for any E there is an equivalence between the category of probability distributions on E and that geometric morphisms E--> T(E) over S. The Dirac delta E--> M(E) is an S-essential geometric morphism so given by a 3-tuple of S-adjoints delta_! adj delta^* adj delta_*. T(E) is "simply" the subtopos of M(E) given by the least topology forcing delta(1) --> 1 to be an isomorphism. There is also a construction of T(E) in terms of sites (Proposition 8.2.9, op.cit.)

On the other hand, I know nothing about your comment
>(and so probabilistic computations can be captured as a "computational effect").

so that, if such a preprint exists, I too would like to have it. I Will  ask Lawvere when (or if) I see him in a month unless he replies himself to  your query.

With best wishes,
Marta Bunge

Marta Bunge
Professor Emerita
Dept of Mathematics and Statistics
McGill UniversityBurnside Hall, Office 1005
805 Sherbrooke St. West
Montreal, QC, Canada H3A 2K6
Office: (514) 398-3810/3800
Home: (514) 935-3618