categories - Category Theory list
From: Ronnie Brown <ronnie.profbrown@btinternet.com>
To: Marco Grandis <grandis@dima.unige.it>
Cc: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Simplicial versus (cubical with connections)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 17:58:09 +0100	[thread overview]

expressing this: degeneracies in the simplicial theory give simplices
with some adjacent faces equal; in the cubical theory, degeneracies give
cubes with some opposite faces equal, and never the twain shall meet!
The connections \Gamma_i (which arise from the monoid structure max on
the unit interval) restore the analogy with simplices, since \Gamma_i x
has two adjacent faces the same.

The advantage of cubes for our ideas was always the *easy*  expression
of `algebraic inverses to subdivision' (not so easy simplicially)  and
the application of this to local-to-global problems. The connections
were found  from trying to express the notion of `commutative cube'; an
account of this search is in the Introduction to `Nonabelian algebraic
topology'.  The nice surprise was that this extra structure was also
what was needed to get  equivalences of some algebraic categories (e.g.
crossed modules versus double groupoids with connections)  so it all
fitted together amazingly.

For more on these ideas, see

Grandis, M. and Mauri, L. Cubical sets and their site. Theory Appl.
Categ. {11} (2003) 185--201.

Higgins, P.~J. Thin elements and commutative shells in cubical
{$\omega$}-categories.  Theory Appl. Categ. {14} (2005)  60--74.

I have never tried cubical sets without degeneracies but with connections!

Ronnie