categories - Category Theory list
From: "jpradines" <jpradines@wanadoo.fr>
To: "Ronnie Brown" <ronnie.profbrown@btinternet.com>,
	"Peter May" <may@math.uchicago.edu>
Cc: <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Reference requested
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 09:34:41 +0200	[thread overview]

The use of a lot of terminologies stemming from topology for describing
purely algebraic properties seems to be widespread  and fashionable among  an
important part of the community of categorists.
This may be a convenient source of intuition and analogies by giving a
topological or geometrical fragrance to such algebraic concepts.
However the considerable drawback is that this habit is a source of
unsolvable clashes for people who are currently using topological or more
specially Lie groupoids, more generally structured (in Ehresmann's sense),
i. e. internal, groupoids, who are obliged to create alternative
terminologies.
For the special case of the duet discrete/undiscrete (or indiscrete, or
sometimes coarse) I'm personally using presently null/banal (there are a lot
of different terminologies used by various authors).
(As to the term "chaotic", I prefer to avoid comments, being afraid to
perturb the beautifully non chaotic weather we are presently enjoying in our
region).

Jean Pradines