categories - Category Theory list
* Albrecht Dold, R.i.P.
@ 2011-10-07  1:13 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2011-10-07  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

From today's IMU newsletter:

| 6. DEATH OF ALBRECHT DOLD ON 26-09-2011.
|
| Albrecht Dold, known for fundamental contributions to algebraic
| topology, was born in Germany in 1928. He held positions in Heidelberg,
| Zürich, Princeton and Columbia. He has been Vice-president of IMU in
1995-98.

I particularly mourn his passing, as it was Dold's algebraic topology
lectures at Columbia around 1961 (+/- 1) that taught me virtually all
I know, or would ever learn later, about the Yoneda Lemma.

Born August 5, 1928, in Triberg, Germany, and barely a teenager during
WW II, Dold would have been 83 at the time of his death.

-- Fred

* Albrecht Dold R.I.P.
@ 2011-10-08 21:22 F William Lawvere
From: F William Lawvere @ 2011-10-08 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

The depth of content and clarity of presentation that we saw in
Albrecht Dold's 1960 Columbia course had a lasting impact on
several, including me. I well remember the generosity he showed me
in Heidelberg 1965. Myles Tierney and I will not forget
that it was in the house of Albrecht and Yvonne in 1969
that we agreed to collaborate on the elementary theory of toposes.

There are so  many things that I still hoped to ask him.....

Bill