categories - Category Theory list
* Albrecht Dold, R.i.P.
@ 2011-10-07  1:13 Fred E.J. Linton
From: Fred E.J. Linton @ 2011-10-07  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

From today's IMU newsletter:

| 6. DEATH OF ALBRECHT DOLD ON 26-09-2011.
|
| Albrecht Dold, known for fundamental contributions to algebraic
| topology, was born in Germany in 1928. He held positions in Heidelberg,
| Zürich, Princeton and Columbia. He has been Vice-president of IMU in
1995-98.

I particularly mourn his passing, as it was Dold's algebraic topology
lectures at Columbia around 1961 (+/- 1) that taught me virtually all
I know, or would ever learn later, about the Yoneda Lemma.

Born August 5, 1928, in Triberg, Germany, and barely a teenager during
WW II, Dold would have been 83 at the time of his death.

-- Fred