categories - Category Theory list
From: Ronnie Brown <ronnie.profbrown@btinternet.com>
To: Vaughan Pratt <pratt@cs.stanford.edu>
Cc: categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: Simplicial versus (cubical with connections)
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 11:39:09 +0100	[thread overview]

I very much  like all this discussion of the abstract basis for these
various cubical theories!

It may be useful to comment on the intuitive origin of the connections.

The first idea was to use double groupoids in some way in  higher
homotopy theory. Then came the question of examples: were there any
interesting double groupoids?

We went through various generalisations of C.Ehresmann's double groupoid
of commutative squares in a group or groupoid, finally ending up with a
functor
(crossed modules) \to (double groupoids)
which gave lots of good example of the latter. But which double
groupoids arose in this way? Also for the idea of a proof of a van
Kampen theorem, we needed the notion of `commutative cube in a double
groupoid'.

Fortunately, the notion of connection in a double groupoid (called
special double groupoid with special connection in our paper) satisfied
both properties!  The key `transport law' was borrowed from a paper of
Virsik on path connections, hence the name `connection'. In more
intuitive terms,  the transport law represents: `turning left with your
arm outstretched is the same as turning left'.  Another law says that
`turning left and then right leaves you where you were'. (etc).
Amazingly, it all fitted together.  Chris once remarked about how well
it worked,  once one had got things sorted.

It still took another 3 years to get with Philip the functor
(pointed pairs of spaces) \to (double groupoids with connections)
and then things fell into place.  This functor seems generally ignored
in algebraic topology.  For us, it allowed
`algebraic inverses to subdivision',
unlike relative homotopy groups;   it is this idea of `multiple
compositions' which seems to lack an abstract study, though for us it
was a key use of cubical structures.  The  aim of a van Kampen theorem
is to get some  algebraic control, expressed as colimits rather than
exact sequences,  of the gluing of complex hierarchical structures, with
interactions between low and high dimensions.

It was then not too hard to generalise connections to all dimensions,
but there was a lot of hard work (the hand of PJH!)  in the paper `The
algebra of cubes' to make it all work.

Ronnie