categories - Category Theory list
From: Richard Garner <richard.garner@mq.edu.au>
To: Dmitry Roytenberg <starrgazerr@gmail.com>
Cc: Categories list <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: when does preservation of monos imply left exactness?
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:52:10 +1100	[thread overview]

Dear Dmitry,

There is a result along these lines in Mike Barr's paper "On
categories with effective unions", Springer LNM 1348. His Theorem 4.1
says:

Suppose F: C --> D is a functor such that C has finite limits,
cokernel pairs and effective unions, and F preserves finite products,
regular monomorphisms and cokernel pairs. Then F preserves finite
limits.

In the statement of this result, a category is said to have effective
unions if the union of two regular subobjects always exists and is
calculated as the pushout over the intersection.

Best,

Richard