categories - Category Theory list
From: Dmitry Roytenberg <starrgazerr@gmail.com>
To: George Janelidze <janelg@telkomsa.net>
Cc: Steve Lack <steve.lack@mq.edu.au>,
	richard.garner@mq.edu.au, categories@mta.ca
Subject: Re: when does preservation of monos imply left exactness?
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 23:55:05 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear George,

First, a small correction: A@- should be considered as a functor to
A-Alg, not k-Alg, in order for what I said to be correct (I thank
Steve Lack for pointing that out).

The square-zero extension is used to show that preservation of
monomorphisms in k-Alg by A@-  -- a priori a weaker condition than
flatness -- actually implies preservation of monomorphisms in k-Mod,
i.e flatness. After that it's the classical story you recalled.

As for why - fair enough: I'm interested to know whether this property
of commutative algebras is shared by other types of algebras (e.g
algebras over k-linear operads, or more general algebraic theories
like analytic or C-infinity rings). The fact that the coproduct
coincides with the tensor product of underlying modules is a very
special property of commutative algebras, so the classical proof fails
already for associative algebras. So I wonder what general exactness
results are available. For instance, I find Michael Barr's theorem
mentioned by Richard very useful.

Best,

Dmitry