categories - Category Theory list
From: Tom Leinster <Tom.Leinster@glasgow.ac.uk>
To: Sebastian Kerkhoff <Sebastian_kerkhoff@gmx.de>
Cc: <categories@mta.ca>, Tom Leinster <Tom.Leinster@glasgow.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Dualities arising via pairs of schizophrenic objects
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 20:33:11 +0000	[thread overview]

Dear Sebastian,

There are some people, including me, who are troubled by the term
"schizophrenic" and want to replace it.  Mental health groups go to some
effort to persuade journalists not to use the word in the casual way they
sometimes do; schizophrenia is of course a serious and often frightening
condition, and it doesn't help when people use language in a way that
perpetuates an inaccurate stereotype.

There was some discussion a while ago about what would be the best
alternative.  I think the best candidate is "dualizing object".  See for
instance the nLab page,

http://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/dualizing+object

Regarding the question itself, I think you'll enjoy Peter Johnstone's book
Stone Spaces, where you'll find a thorough development of the general
principle that you mention in your last paragraph.

Best wishes,
Tom