categories - Category Theory list
* Re: "Semi-additive" seems to be it
@ 2012-01-09  8:47 bourn
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: bourn @ 2012-01-09  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George Janelidze; +Cc: Categories list

Dear all,

I completely agree with George.

By the way, I studied such kind of categories (among others) in:
"Intrinsic centrality and associated classifying properties"
J. of Algebra, 256, 2002, 126-145.
I called them "linear", following Lawvere and Schanuel's "Conceptual
Mathematics".

Truly yours,

Dominique

I agree with

> May I try to protest against "plurality"?
>
> My reason of suggesting "half-" and not "semi-" is "semi-abelian". I
understand that "semi-" is suggested by "semigroup", but "semi-abelian"
was
> suggested by "semidirect products". Note that "semidirect products" are
defined categorically and a semi-abelian category is abelian if and only
if
> its semidirect products coincide with direct (that is, cartesian) products.
>
> Similarly, if a category with finite coproducts merely has semidirect
products, then it is additive if and only if its semidirect products
coincide with direct products.

> Another reason against
>
> "semi-additive = enriched in commutative monoids + has finite products"
>
> is that we do not want to identify monoids with semigroups, do we?
>
> And, surely, instead of saying that
>
> "While the category of commutative monoids is a motivating example of a
semi-additive category, the category of commutative semigroups is not
semi-additive"

> it is much better to say that
>
> "Semi- refers to semidirect products and not to semigroups".
>
> I hope to get support even from those who already made the opposite
suggestion...

> George
>
> P.S. Well, I always try to respect old terminology, but sometimes (what  can
> we do?) it is better to change it. By the way, many years ago Dmitrii
Raikov
> introduced another notion of "semi-abelian". As it turned out with help
of
> Yaroslav Kopylov, that Raikov semi-abelian means
>
> additive + regular + coregular
>
> It is an important notion with interesting examples, but what we call
semi-abelian today seemed to be so much more suitable to call
> "semi-abelian"!

security will deserve neither and lose both.
>>             Benjamin Franklin
>> [For admin and other information see: http://www.mta.ca/~cat-dist/ ]
>

> [For admin and other information see: http://www.mta.ca/~cat-dist/ ]

* "Semi-additive" seems to be it