categories - Category Theory list
From: David Yetter <dyetter@math.ksu.edu>
To: Michael Barr <barr@math.mcgill.ca>, categories <categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Gowers petition against Elsevier
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 14:53:45 -0600	[thread overview]

Eventually generalizing the boycott to Springer might be necessary, but
tactically I think it would be a mistake at this point.

I am reminded of a story from the days of the "Old West" here in Kansas in which
the new Marshall (I think it was Wyatt Earp) set about bringing order to the
town (I think it was Abilene) by obliging the Texas cowboys who had driven
their cattle north to check their guns before entering a saloon.  When the
sneered and declined, he picked the biggest, meanest, surliest of the
Texans, laid him out with one punch, and repeated his request.  The other
cowboys complied.

The scientific community needs to do the same -- bringing down, or forcing
reform at, the most egregiously abusive of publishers will oblige the others
to fix the problems, too.  And, just like a punch to the jaw delivered to one
cowboy was more feasible than fighting the lot of them, it is more feasible:
young folk worried about "impact factors" because they don't yet have a
job are left with more publication venues from which to chose while
avoiding Elsevier.

Best Thoughts,
D. Yetter