categories - Category Theory list
* 2-categorical monad functor lifting
@ 2012-03-26  9:23 Steve Vickers
From: Steve Vickers @ 2012-03-26  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories; +Cc: Bertfried Fauser

As we know, a monad functor between two monads (possibly on different
categories) can be lifted to a functor between the algebra categories.

Fauser and I needed a corresponding 2-categorical result: a 2-monad
2-functor (of course, the natural transformation involved needs to be
2-natural) between two 2-monads (possibly on different 2-categories) can
be lifted to a 2-functor between the lax algebra 2-categories. Also the
lifting preserves pseudo-ness and strictness of the algebras.

We checked all the equations and it works, but we're not experts on the
2-categorical literature and we wonder if it's already known. Our first
literature searches haven't shown up anything - though even the
1-categorical case (which surely is well known) is elusive.

Has anyone seen this result before?

Steve Vickers.

* Re: 2-categorical monad functor lifting
@ 2012-03-26 16:05 ` Francisco Marmolejo (314)
From: Francisco Marmolejo (314) @ 2012-03-26 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: categories

Dear Steve,

you may want to check

Coherence for pseudodistributive laws revisited
F. Marmolejo and R.J. Wood
Theory and Applications of Categories, Vol. 20, No. 6, 2008, pp. 74–84.

and the bibliography there-in for the pseudo case (and for pseudomonads).
The standard reference for the 1-categorical case must surely be

The formal theory of monads
R. Street
J. Pure Appl. Algebra 2 (1972)

F. Marmolejo