categories - Category Theory list
* orthogonal factorization systems
@ 2012-04-13 22:09 Emily Riehl
From: Emily Riehl @ 2012-04-13 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Categories list

I've placed a bet with a colleague that the following result appears in
the literature. Please help me win.

Claim: Suppose (E,M) is an orthogonal factorization system (unique lifts)
on a symmetric monoidal category and X is a fixed monoid. If tensoring
with X preserves maps in the class E, then (E,M) lifts to an orthogonal
factorizaiton system on the category of X-modules.

Regards,
Emily Riehl

* Re: orthogonal factorization systems
@ 2012-04-14 22:27 ` Richard Garner
From: Richard Garner @ 2012-04-14 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emily Riehl; +Cc: Categories list

Dear Emily,

You are in luck. Your result is an instance of the following:

PROP
If C is a category bearing the orthogonal factorisation system (E,M),
and T is a monad on C whose underlying functor preserves E-maps, then
C^T bears the orthogonal factorisation system (U^-1(E), U^-1(M)).

A full proof of which is given as Proposition 20.28 in:

Abstract and concrete categories: The joy of cats (Wiley, 1990)
Jiri Adamek, Horst Herrlich and George Strecker

Maybe there is an older reference than this but I am not aware of such.

Richard