categories - Category Theory list
From: "George Janelidze" <janelg@telkomsa.net>
To: "Colin McLarty" <colin.mclarty@case.edu>,
	"Staffan Angere" <Staffan.Angere@fil.lu.se>,	<categories@mta.ca>
Subject: Re: Bourbaki & category theory
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 23:51:28 +0200	[thread overview]

Dear Colleagues,

I don't think it is good to say that "Bourbaki had a notion of isomorphism
but no general notion of morphism", even in a brief message!

Bourbaki introduces morphisms in subsection 1 of section 2 of Chapter IV of
"Theory of Sets". Removing Bourbaki's formalism, the definition can be
stated as follows:

Let S be a class of mathematical structures of a given type, and let us
assume for simplicity that these structures have single underlying sets
(Bourbaki also makes this assumption, also just for simplicity). An element
of S is therefore a pair (x,s), where x is a set and s a structure on x. By
a map f : (x,s) --> (y,t) we shall mean an arbitrary map f from x to y. But,
just as in category theory, a map (x,s) --> (y,t) should "remember" (x,s)
and (y,t). A class M of such maps is said to be a class of morphisms if it
satisfies the following conditions:

(i) If f : (x,s) --> (y,t) and g : (y,t) --> (z,u) are in M, then so is gf :
(x,s) --> (z,u);

(ii) let f : (x,s) --> (y,t) be a map that is a bijection x --> y, and let g
: (y,t) --> (x,s) be its inverse, then f is an isomorphism if and only if
both f and g are in M.

Here Bourbaki uses the notion of isomorphism that he (they) defined before
and that is completely determined by S. That is, according to Bourbaki, as
soon as I know the structures I also know their isomorphisms - but I still
might have flexibility in defining morphisms. How flexible it is? Well,
condition (i) says that the class of morphisms must be closed under
composition, and condition (ii) says that morphisms must nicely agree with
isomorphisms.

The readers not familiar with category theory might ask, why is it so? Why
should we agree that isomorphisms are "more determined" than morphisms?

And one needs very little category theory to answer this: Bourbaki
structures are defined as elements of sets that appear in "scales" build
using finite cartesian products and power sets (in which we see a "germ" of
Pare theorem about toposes: no colimits!), and to define morphisms we need
functoriality of scales that we don't have, since we might want to use the
contravariant power set functor, as e.g. for topological spaces. And this
problem disappears of course if we restrict ourselves to bijections. (In
fact even without power sets there is a problem that disappears for
bijections, but never mind).

The citation from Weil might mean that he misunderstood (or almost
understood) exactly this... (I mean, not structures, but parts of scales
behave covariantly or contravariantly! - But apologizing to Weil, I must say
that I have not read the full text - so maybe it is I who misunderstood
him... for instance Mac Lanes idea could be that in many cases there is the
"best" notion of morphism, which is correct of course).

Talking about Bourbaki and categories, how can we not mention Charles
Ehresmann who was far ahead in understanding many aspects of category
theory, and actually used the category of sets and bijections to approach
the general concept of mathematical structure?! (It is interesting that his
concept of a mathematical structure is briefly mentioned in "Introduction  to
the theory of categories and functors", a book written by I. Bucur and A.
Deleanu). Surely Andree Ehresmann can tell us many interesting things about
his ideas and the reaction of the rest of Bourbaki on them.

But let me return to Bourbaki in general. Seeing that there is certain
flexibility in choosing morphisms is great, but then not seeing that the
morphisms do not have to be maps of sets at all is absolutely crucial. So,
yes, category theory theory was definitely invented by Mac Lane and
Eilenberg and not by Bourbaki.

George Janelidze

P.S. Also, as we all know, Einenberg and Mac Lane wrote "General theory of
natural equivalences" long before Bourbaki wrote their Chapter IV, which
itself was long before 1970.